This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

Being a girl can be so complicated sometimes. We have to go through so many struggles and one of them includes makeup. Makeup is a great way of self-expression and touching up your look to be on fleek! However, there is a certain way to apply make up for your look to truly be on fleek. Here are some of my own tips I’ve developed over the years with practice. Be aware, I’m not an expert but these tips have helped me out a lot. 

1. Prep Your Face

You should try to apply makeup to a clean face, and you can do this by washing, toning, and exfoliating your face before applying any type of makeup. You can use an exfoliating wash suitable for your skin (dry, oily, etc.), towel-pat dry your face, and then use an alcohol-free toner such as witch hazel.  

2. Primer

After prepping your face for makeup, apply a primer to even out your skin before doing the next step. Primers moisturize your skin and allows makeup to be applied evenly, as well as making it last longer!

3. Foundation

You want to set a blank canvas on your face, so you apply foundation to create this blank slate. A little tip: to find the best shade for your face, observe the skin between your jawline and neck.

4. Concealer

If you have any problem areas, such as places with pimples, be sure to add some concealer on it. You can also look up ways in which to apply concealer before the next step! Make sure to blend properly.

5. Powder

After contouring/bronzing you should apply translucent powder on your face to set your foundation to make it flawless.

6. Contour/Bronzer

Onto one of my favorite parts. Now that your canvas has been made clear it’s time to paint! Contouring and bronzing involve adding dynamic to your face to make it appeal to shadows and lights. The typical look includes going about two shades darker than your face around your forehead, halfway along your cheekbones going toward your lips, halfway on your jawline going toward your chin, and down the sides of the bridge on your nose. You then go two shades lighter on places such as the bridge of your nose, the area between your eyebrows, the bulb of your chin, and the little gap between your nose and lips. After doing all this, blend it all to make it look natural.

7. Blush

Apply blush on your apples of cheeks to go for that natural look!

8. Highlight

We can’t forget about highlighters! Make your face look shiny and immaculate by applying it to the small area between your eyes and cheekbones, the middle of your forehead, and the tip of your nose.

9. Eyeshadow

This should be pretty straightforward but apply your eyeshadow starting from the inner corner of your eyes and make it flare outward across your eyelids.

10. Mascara

If you want to add a little more pizzazz to your look, apply mascara. Be careful not to smudge it under your eyes when you get the lashes on your water line.

11. Eyeliner

A little eyeliner never hurt anyone, am I right?

12. Eyebrows

Okay hunny, you made it this far. This can make or break your look. To do your eyebrows start from the end, make your tail and then work your way to the start of your eyebrows. At the start of your brows make sure you don’t color it in too much, let it slowly transition into a dark brow.

13. Lipstick

Lipstick, the finishing touch to your look. Unless you’re going for a natural look, stay away from nudes. A word of advice I heard a while back was “Choose a lipstick based on your outfit”.

14. Setting Spray

And finally, after all that work, you’re done! Set your look to last for hours by spraying your setting spray and let it dry.

Gifs courtesy of Giphy

Graceann Bhagat

Stony Brook '20

Name: Graceann Bhagat  Year: Senior  Major: Double Major in Biology (Neuroscience) and History (European History)  I write about the mediocre things in life that don't matter but do.   
Her Campus Stony Brook Founder and Campus Correspondent Stony Brook University Senior Minnesotan turned New Yorker English Major, Journalism Minor