To All the Ladies Turning 21

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

You are at one of the best ages you’ll ever be. You’re young, beautiful, incredibly smart and strong. Don’t let anyone tell you otherwise. You’ve learned a lot in your 21 years on this Earth and you’ve already accomplished so much. But don’t let that keep you from achieving every goal you have in mind. We only have so much time on this world, use your time wisely.

As a college student, it can be really difficult to determine where your life is going and how you’re going to get there. The future is scary. Although we have a lot of time ahead of us, we don’t have much time left in college. Utilize every resource your college offers you, like the help of the Career Center. Create a kick-ass resume and practice for those intense job interviews.

But there are also other things you need to realize besides preparing for your life after college. Relationships. And I don’t just mean romantic relationships either. Every relationship you have is important whether it be with your friends, your siblings, parents and co-workers. Take the time to appreciate everyone in your life. Just like your life is going by quickly, so is theirs. I know it’s a sad thought, but you never know when it may be someone’s last day so always treat people with kindness and positivity.

The last and most important thing you need to keep in mind is this: never let anyone tell you how to live your life. If you want to be a writer when everyone you know is telling you to be a doctor, be a writer. If you want to be an engineer and people say you can’t do it, prove them wrong. Prove them all wrong. Be whoever you want to be, don’t let anyone dictate your fate. You are strong enough to make your own decisions about your own life; you know what’s best for you.

To all the beautiful ladies turning twenty-one-derful, good luck in everything you do.

Kayla Keller

Stony Brook

I am a Junior at Stony Brook University majoring in Linguistics and minoring in English and Writing and Rhetoric. I love reading and traveling to places I've never been before. I often go on adventures, such as hiking and finding new towns and cities to explore. These moments truly inspire me to continue writing, especially about the different places I've gone to and the experiences I've had. Ever since I was a young girl, I've always wanted to become a published author!
Her Campus Stony Brook Founder and Campus Correspondent Stony Brook University Senior Minnesotan turned New Yorker English Major, Journalism Minor