6 Things You’ll Know if You’re a South Asian College Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stony Brook chapter.

We South Asian girls love dressing up for cultural festivities, attending weddings and indulging in home cooked food. But college is a completely different world. So, here’s a few things you can probably relate to if you’re a South Asian girl in college.

1. You start and end your day with a phone call from your parents

Now, we love and respect our parents but those Skype calls when you’re rushing to get ready for an 8 a.m. class (side note: never take an 8 a.m. class) or when you’re in the library studying; can be frustrating. And if you don’t answer once, there’s no stopping; so pick up already!

2. You’ve been warned to not date someone from another cultureYou probably hear this every now and then about how your parents expect you to marry a decent, well-established guy of the same culture. But hey, can you blame the heart?

3. The biriyani and chicken curry at dining halls are a lie!No matter how excited you get at the sight of biriyani or any Indian food on the menu, it doesn’t take long for the excitement to turn into disappointment. Because that barely spicy curry chicken with thin gravy got nothing on mom’s homemade ones.

4. You hate having to discuss future plans with relatives“Doctor or Engineer?” We all are tired of hearing this, every time we go back home and those disappointing stares when you speak of some other career makes you feel like you just spoke gibberish.  

5. Friday night in or out?No matter how lit the frat party was on Friday night, you have got to act sober when your parents call you and ask how group studying is going.

6. You can’t wait to dress up for cultural events on campusWhether it’s Diwali, Holi, Eid or any other festival, you grab any opportunity to don your pretty sarees or lehenga cholis. Cause you know you look the sexiest when you look desi!

So love and embrace your culture because nobody busts some moves to Bollywood songs better than us!

Rushnan Islam

Stony Brook '20

Rushnan is currently a senior Biology major at Stony Brook University. She loves coffee, books, writing, and city-hopping (in that order)!
Her Campus Stony Brook Founder and Campus Correspondent Stony Brook University Senior Minnesotan turned New Yorker English Major, Journalism Minor