Spray Tan Like A Pro

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stonehill chapter.

Lets face it, unless you’re a lucky betch that has been blessed with Italian or Latina skin, you’re probably looking a lot like me right now, pale AF. I am going to skip the pity party about having Irish skin and basically becoming a friggin ghost by the time October 1st comes around and just cut to the chase…

Skin cancer is serious and very scary so tanning beds are a definite no, but does that mean you should just accept looking like casper the “friendly” ghost? HELL NO.  Basically, the answer to all your problems is spray tanning. However, you can’t just go to some shady tan machine at a wicked sketch place and expect a good result; that’s simply never gonna happen. Lucky for y’all, I am seasoned pro, and I am going kindly inform you of a few essential tips that will def help you to not look like an oompa loompa.

1. Shave & Exfoliate

The night before you’re planning on becoming a tan goddess, be sure to shave errrrrrything. Do this because after you get the tan, the more you shave the faster the tan will fade. Also, you wanna make sure to really scrub in the shower to get all the dead, creepy skin off your bod to ensure an even tan.

2. No Lotion

DO NOT put lotion on before a tan, please. You will be splotchy because the solution will not stick properly to you’re skin. If you know you have dry skin start moisturizing a week prior to getting a spray tan, but stop the night before. If you forget to do this, honestly best to have dry skin then to be splotchy amirite? Yes.

3. Do not sweat/shower

It depends on the solution the spray tan place you go to uses to determine how long before you shower, but for the most part it is 8-10 hours. So, for those 8-whatever hours you cant get wet (no sweating, no going in the rain without a ton of clothes, etc) because the tan will wash off and ultimately become streaky when you shower it all off. Also, if you go to the gym with a fresh tan you will end up with orange sweat stains. So gross, just wait till the times up; don’t embarrass yourself!!! Sleeping in my tan works best for me, so I can just shower in the am and go on with my day tan and worry free 

4. Baggy Clothes

Make sure to wear extra baggy clothes!! If put tight clothes on after, the tan might dry weird and end up uneven, which is something you def don’t want!!

5. When in doubt go light

I recommend going to a place where a professional is the one spray tanning because you can talk to them about what kind of color you want and how dark/light, etc. However, if you go to a spray tan booth, like tanorama (still fine) I recommend you start with a lighter color just to be sure you don’t end up wasting $$$ on an orange tan!

6. Self-tanner

If you use a self-tan spray, then when you are done spraying/rubbing in tan, use baby wipes to wipe in between your fingers and cuticles, as well as your ankles and the back of your feet. If you do not do this you might end up with extra tan in that area and can make your glow v obvious.

HAPPY TANNING BABES ;)))))))

Side note: The only thing scarier than skin cancer is my addiction to spray tanning…Seriously, my bank account is quickly becoming -$$$$$ woops. At least I am tanner than you.