Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Stonehill Features

Out With The 'Hoe' In With The 'Ha': Halloween Costume Guide

By Caitlin Sweeney, Kassie Sweeney
October 19, 2014 - 11:16pm

With Halloween just around the corner you’re all probably thinking (and by thinking I mean panicking)  “what do I be for Halloween???” The costume possibilities are endless and a good costume could be the key to a good night. Costumes around campus seem to gravitate towards two extremes: sexy or funny.   READ MORE

When's the last time YOU saved a life?

By Kate McCarthy
March 30, 2014 - 1:32pm

For most college students, their greatest accomplishment will be receiving their diploma on graduation day. However other students may go in a different direction and have a more unique highlight for their greatest collegiate accomplishment; saving a life.  For Megan Ann Fontaine ’14, this will be one of the major events of her time in college, donating her marrow so an anonymous patient with lymphoma can have a second chance at life. Fontaine joined the Bone Marrow Registry this past October, when it was on campus during a blood drive. All it took was a simple swab of the inside of her cheek and a few months later, she got the call that she was a match. READ MORE

Top 5 Angsty Teen Novels

By Samantha Rose
February 28, 2014 - 10:52am

Throughout high school, you were forced to read all of the classics, A Tale of Two Cities, Catcher and the Rye, and The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants. Okay, so maybe that last one was not part of the curriculum, but you definitely were reading those kinds of books instead of the great classics. You know the ones I’m talking about. Those angsty teen novels that gave you false expectations about high school and every romantic relationship you would ever have. They all had the same story line, characters, and endings, and yet you couldn’t help buying the newest Sarah Dessen book, or latest trendy series. Well, lets take a trip down memory lane and review the top five angsty teen novels that you have probably read at some point or another....

7x10x7 Playwrighting Festival Returns to Campus

By Meghan Bedard
February 21, 2014 - 11:09am

The annual playwriting festival, 7X10X7, occurred this Sunday in Hemmingway Theater. The seven plays were about ten minutes long and were all written, directed and performed by students. Professor Eliet, who teaches the playwriting course, directed the program. The themes varied from serious topics like anger and revenge to hilarious, lighthearted plays featuring euphemisms such as “doing laundry” with a boy down the hall. Overall, the students were clearly very proud of their work and the audience was eager to see the surprising twist each play held. An excellent example of the arts at Stonehill and it was an awesome turnout for all the students who worked so hard to put this festival together....

Winters Olympics Becoming a Girl's Club

By Samantha Rose
February 20, 2014 - 9:53am

READ MORE

Philip Seymour Hoffman Dies at 46

By Marylee Mahony
February 11, 2014 - 9:00am

The second day of February brought sad news to movie lovers everywhere. Phillip Seymour Hoffman, one of Hollywood’s finest actors, had overdosed on heroin and was found dead in his Greenwich Village apartment.  Hoffman was without a doubt one of today’s most versatile actors. The man was in no way typecast and never dared to take on a safe role. He was a performer who truly took chances and we loved him for it. Some of his most notable roles including Scotty J. in Boogie Nights, Father Brendan Flynn in Doubt and his Oscar-winning role as Truman Capote in Capote. READ MORE

Seniors Celebrate 100 Days

By Kate McCarthy
February 9, 2014 - 3:15pm

On Friday night the senior class took to the Commons to celebrate 100 days until graduation. The dueling pianos were certainly the highlight of the night, as the 2 pianists and drummer provided excellent entertainment for the senior class.
The quiet caf has certainly never seen such action, as crowd favorites such as “Love Shack”, “Wannabe” and “I Will Survive” were belted with much enthusiasm.
“Grease Lightning or Summer Loving were probably my favorite songs of the night,” senior Katherine McDonough said. “I could have done with a few more tunes from Footloose, but other than that, I really have no complaints. The pianos played Whitney Houston right at the beginning of the night, so that obviously made up for the lack of Footloose,”...

Timeflies Announced as Spring Weekend Performer

By Meg Lewis
January 30, 2014 - 9:08am

It’s been announced! On Wednesday afternoon, with the release of the first edition of The Summit of the semester, Timeflies was announced as the main act for Spring Weekend in April. In terms of past performers, the general feel on campus is that this is a definite step up in comparison. “I’m excited to finally have a performer that college students listen to. Timeflies has visited mny of my friends’ schools and they have all said how great they are live” senior Samantha Rose said. READ MORE

Merry Christmaspalooza!: A Recap

By Sarah Figalora
December 8, 2013 - 9:18pm

Christmas music, trivia, the sound of students’ laughter while brave participants attempted to get a sugar cookie from their forehead to their mouths without using their hands in a Minute-to-Win-It challenge…all classic signs that Christmaspalooza was back in full force last Thursday to celebrate the holiday season. READ MORE

New Bridge, New Vandalism

By April Renzella
November 19, 2013 - 12:58pm

Stonehill’s ‘New Bridge’ has once again been vandalized, marking the second time a noticeable incident has occurred.               The bridge opened up in October. Prior to its opening, an incident was reported on Tuesday, September 3, 2013 regarding a graffiti incident on the bridge. Someone wrote the word ‘ERGO’ as well as ‘SM’ in what appeared to be blue sharpie. This time, it was vandalized over the weekend of November 9, 2013. According to a college announcement email, “Five out of the eight light poles illuminating the area have been damaged.” READ MORE