Molly McDonald ’14

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stonehill chapter.

This past weekend, the annual competition between the residence halls of Stonehill took place, the Shovel Bowl. In the surprise of the century, the senior and junior courts took home the coveted golden shovel. Read on to see how this come-from-behind victory took place!

Name: Molly McDonald

Year: 2014

Major: History

What is your position in RHA?
I am the vice president of the hall council for the senior and junior courts. 

What is the “Shovel Bowl” for those who don’t know?
The Shovel Bowl is basically a Stonehill form of the amazing race. Each residence hall has a team representing them in a race around campus with multiple checkpoints of challenges such as Stonehill trivia, physical challenges, and puzzles. The first residence hall team to finish the race wins the prestigious honor of Shovel Bowl Champions along with the glorious Golden Shovel to keep in their residence hall for the year. 

How does it feel to be part of the first winning Courts team in Stonehill Shovel Bowl history?
It feels absolutely amazing to be a part of this team of champions. We started the semester with the goal of bringing the shovel to the courts and the team went above any expectations we had and absolutely killed it in the Shovel Bowl. I have to credit our success to our biggest supporter, RHA President Sarah Figalora, who believed in us and made sure we realized that losing the Shovel Bowl would be equivalent to losing a limb. We couldn’t have done it without her. 

What are your plans for the shovel this year?
The shovel will continue to live in Orleans this year where we pay tribute to it daily. It has become a part of our house and we plan on including it in as many house activities as possible, including our Christmas picture and Graduation pictures collectively.  Our biggest concern is making sure the shovel feels welcome in the courts and knows Orleans will hopefully continue to be it’s home in the years to come. 

What should we expect out of the courts going forward this year?
You can expect much more winning out of us. Now that we have had our first taste of victory I know we will continue to dominate any event put in front of us. 

Meg Lewis

Stonehill

Meg Lewis is a senior at Stonehill College in Easton, MA. She is a Communication major and Journalism minor who hopes to one day be in the Public Relations field. She is as fashion obsessed as it gets, loves to style her friends, read the New York Times Style section on Thursdays and Sundays, and blog in her personal fashion site. Aside from fashion, her interets vary from perfecting the cream-to-coffee ratio in her morning cup of joe, YouTube videos of babies laughing, John Stewart, 90's Saturday Night Live, and unabashedly and continuously dominating her friends' social media feeds.