Grab-The-Green Week Fall 2014!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stonehill chapter.

This week there will be no disposable to-go containers sold at the Caf or the Hill in attempts to raise awareness for the amount of waste the College produces that is essentially preventable. Each week over 5,000 disposable containers are purchased, costing the college $45,000 every year. When talking to senior Sean Davenport he gave some insight into how to reduce your carbon footprint. When Sean was a sophomore he started the “Grab-The-Green” week with the Food Truth club on campus with a goal of eventually eliminating the option to purchase disposable to-go containers. Now, each year the Food Truth club continues to put on the “Grab-The-Green” week in hopes of getting students on campus to think more consciously about the way they eat and how that impacts the earth. Each “Grab-The-Green” week since 2013 has resulted in a reduced number of disposable to-go containers being sold for the remained of the semester, thus reducing waste and saving the college (and you!) money.

So, how easy is it to help Stonehill College reduce waste?

1.  Grab a Green Reusable To-Go Container!

Each time you get a meal to-go you pay an extra 35¢ just to be able to walk it across campus to your room, and that money adds up fast! Purchasing a reusable to-go container costs you $3 and pays for itself in just nine uses. The best part is the money comes directly off of your meal plan, not your coveted Hill Dollars!

2.  Actually Use the Green Containers!

Re-using the green containers is even easier than recycling the disposable ones! Simply bring your dirty green containers to the Bakery at the Commons and Patty will hand you a clean one to use.

3.  Recycle and Compost as Much as You Can!

Using the Recycling, Composting and Landfill bins correctly in the Commons will help cut back on the two TONS of waste the college produces each and every day (that’s over four thousand pounds!) The large signs above the bins show you what on your plate can go where, making it easy to recycle and compost. The Compost we produce goes directly to the Farm at Stonehill, providing nutrient rich soil for the veggies and crops they plant.

4.  Read the Sustainability Blog!

Stonehill Blogs is updated frequently and has great tips and articles that will keep updated with all things eco-friendly at the Hill!

Check out Sean as he stars in an informative video on Grab-The-Green week:

Kassie is currently a junior studying marketing at Stoneill College. She loves green tea, popcorn and her dog, Pumpkin.