This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stonehill chapter.

The holiday season is on the brink of being in full swing. All the necessities for baked pumpkin goods are displayed at the front of the grocery store, green boxes of candy canes are starting to peek out in the candy isle, and you’re tempted to start listening to the 24/7 Christmas music that’s already been playing on the radio station. Finally, Thanksgiving is only days away!

Let’s face it, though, as nostalgic as family traditions make you, half of the holiday cheer comes from the newer traditions with your friends. Despite the fact that you trek to the Commons every night to share pastabilities with your friends squished around a tall table, you probably don’t gather to enjoy a proper holiday meal. However, cooking a mock Thanksgiving in your dorm is easier than you think. Here are some secrets that can help initiate your first Friendsgiving!

1. The spices: Salt, pepper, olive oil and minced garlic will make every veggie taste phenomenal.

2. Veggies to grab from the commons: Spinach, mushrooms, and onions, when sautéed in the spices above, will be great to mix into any boxed stuffing. It will also feel more like a homemade meal.

3. Want another side dish? You can boil carrot sticks in a bowl of water by putting it in the microwave for about 3 minutes. Afterwards, put a little bit of butter and brown sugar. The taste is very seasonal and make sure to use the brown sugar in the next quick recipe!

4. What’s Thanksgiving without a pumpkin dessert? You can make pumpkin cookies with just 2 ingredients: a whole can of pumpkin puree and a box of spice cake mix. Believe it or not, this transforms cake mix to delicious cookies.  For an extra flavor add a tablespoon or two of the brown sugar you added to your carrots!

When you and your friends move out of your parents’ house to live up your 20’s in the city, Friendsgivings will most likely be some of your best nights (probably credited to a lot of wine), so get some practice now!

Kate McCarthy is  a senior at Stonehill College in Easton, Massachusetts. She is a Communications major and a journalism minor. Although she does not know what she wants to do when she graduates, her dream job is having her own talk show and becoming a one woman sensation, like Oprah. At Stonehill, you can find her  winning championships with her intramural basketball team, swimming laps in O'Hara Pond or reading James Patterson novels in the cafeteria. After a semester studying abroad in the Czech Republic, her main goal in life is to travel the world. She is currently interning in Los Angeles, at the Queen Latifah show.