Celebrating Easter all over the World

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stonehill chapter.

Easter “break” this year was short, sweet and very cold. If you thought that hunting for eggs in the snow and rain was bizarre, check out these other ways that people celebrate Easter all over the globe. Hiding eggs filled with candy, painting and dyeing eggs and awaiting the arrival of the Easter Bunny are all typical ways that Americans celebrate this spring Holiday, but a human-sized bunny isn’t the weirdest thing on this list…

Czech Republic: The Czech Republic celebrates Easter similar to how we celebrate Halloween. Kids go door to door with baskets collecting eggs and candy. But here’s the twist, the men go door to door with willow branches and are rewarded by women with alcohol and treats. Seems a little sketchy to me, but the Czechs have a lot of strange traditions.

Poland: In Poland boys carry around buckets of water and water guns and try to soak people. According to legend if a girl gets sprayed she will marry that coming year,  but would you really want to be soaked in this chilly weather?

Greece: On the island of Corfu, Greece, the locals smash pots from balconies and on the streets. All of the broken pottery is supposed to symbolize the start of spring, and where the pots land symbolizes where the new plants will grow. 

Germany: In Germany, Christmas trees are stacked and burned in a huge flare to symbolize the beginning of spring and the end of winter. This year, while still snowing, Germans paraded on horseback for the festival known as Georgiritt to a local church to receive blessings. 

While you may think that rolling eggs across the White House lawn is a bizarre tradition, just imagine spending Easter in Europe!

Kassie is currently a junior studying marketing at Stoneill College. She loves green tea, popcorn and her dog, Pumpkin.