7 Tips For Not Getting Sick During Flu Season!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stonehill chapter.

Flu season is approaching collegiettes! I am going to break down the vital information you should know for this flu season and how to prevent getting sick this year. Follow these tips and you’ll be walking around campus with a dry nose and clear eyes.

What is the flu? Do I have the flu?!

According to the Center for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the flu is a contagious respiratory illness cause by the influenza viruses. It can cause anywhere from mild to severe illness so it is essential to pay attention to your body. Another important factoid to keep in mind is that the flu virus is constantly changing. It can change from one year to the next or it can even change within the same flu season. This means that new flu strains can appear each year. If you have some of the following symptoms you probably want to set up an appointment at health services on campus.

Some signs or symptoms of the flu include fever or what people often refer to as “feeling the chills,” cough, sore throat, runny or stuffy nose, muscle or body aches, headaches, extreme fatigue, and/or occasional vomiting or diarrhea. Although most college students feel tired everyday or may have nagging headaches regularly, it is important to pay attention to these symptoms. If you are feeling more tired than usual, you may want to be checked for the flu!

When is flu season?

Flu season is unpredictable and varies each year. According to many studies conducted by the CDC, the flu most commonly peaks in January or February. However, the flu is known to begin as early as October and continue as late as May.

Preventative Tips!

Get Vaccinated! Nobody likes to get a needle shoved into his or her arm, but it could save your life collegiate. Your body’s immunity to the many flu viruses declines over time so it is important to get the flu vaccine. The flu vaccine is designed to protect against the three main flu strains that research indicates will cause the most illness during the flu season. The three kinds of influenza viruses that commonly infect people today are Influenza A (H1N1) viruses, influenza A (H3N2) viruses, and influenza B viruses. The protection you get from the flu vaccine will last throughout the entire flu season. When most healthy people with regular immune systems are vaccinated, their bodies produce antibodies and they are protected throughout the flu season. Antibodies can also provide protection against different but related viruses. So getting the flu vaccine can prevent you from getting a general cold. Lucky for you health services is giving free flu shots! Simply call and make an appointment.

Wash your hands! This is an everyday preventative tip you should be doing regardless of flu season. Washing your hands regularly with soap and water can reduce the spreading of germs. You can also use alcohol-based hand rub if you don’t have access to soap and water. If you don’t have hand sanitizer health services has cute, mini hand sanitizers for free! Go get one.

Don’t touch! Avoid touching your eyes, nose, or mouth. This is how germs spread in your body. Be conscious of the surfaces you are touching before you make contact with your body. Surfaces can carry massive amounts of germs, especially in a college setting where multiple people are using the same resources.

Stay Away! Although this may be difficult on a campus of 2,000 plus people, avoid your sick peers. If you are sick with the flu, lock yourself in your dorm room or if possible, go home! Stay home from work, internships, school, class, lab, everything. This will prevent the spread of the flu to others.

Be Healthy! Get plenty of sleep and exercise, manage your stress, drink plenty of fluids, and eat healthy foods. Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue when you cough or sneeze and throw the tissue in the trash after you use it. Make sure you are taking vitamins, especially vitamin E, A, C, and B-complex. These have properties that enhance your immune system.

Don’t Smoke! Everyone knows how smoking is hazardous to our bodies but did you know smoking can paralyze the cilia in your nose! These are the hair-like cells lining your nose and airways. They sweep away incoming viruses before they can infect. If you smoke, the cilia will not be able to sweep away the virus, leaving you more susceptible to the flu.

Don’t Drink! Try your best to reduce your alcohol consumption. Alcohol can compromise your immune response. Even if it’s just a casual night out with friends, don’t compromise your health. Drink water instead!

Make sure you follow these tips to stay healthy this year. Complications of the flu include pneumonia, ear infections, sinus infections, dehydration, and worsening of chronic medical conditions, such as congestive heart failure, asthma, or diabetes. So it is very important to pay attention to your body if you start to feel under the weather. But if you do get sick have no fear. There are drugs that can treat flu illness. Stay happy and healthy collegiate!

If you’d like to learn more about the flu and how to prevent it check out http://www.cdc.gov

Photo Sources:

http://www.kdheks.gov/flu/down…

http://www.personal.psu.edu/af…