YONYO: “You Only New York Once”

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stetson chapter.

Have you ever had a spontaneous idea that you acted out on? If you haven’t, you should, because it’s the best thing I’ve ever done. This past winter I had an opportunity to live in New York City. From walking class-to-class in the warmth of Florida, to walking shop-to-shop in the frigid weather of New York, there couldn’t have been more of a culture shock when I decided to move up to the city for the winter. For those of you wondering what I even went to the Big Apple for, my friend and I had this crazy idea that live out our own version of an MTV reality show. We did just that, but with our own flare.

The New York lifestyle is a tad different than our lovely, laid-back Floridian lifestyle. To give you an idea, in DeLand you would expect to waltz into a coffee shop downtown and chill for an hour as you gossip with friends about the weekend. However, in New York, you have about thirty minutes to get to your coffee shop, sip, chat, and kiss goodbye before you’re off to your next appointment. It truly is all about the hustle and bustle.

But to be honest, I fell in love with every bit of the fast life and it wasn’t as shocking to me as many warned me that it would be. I felt like my mind had the capability to run at the pace that people actually physically run there. The doorman at Barnes and Noble already knew what magazine issue I was going to ask for before I finished my question, and was already taking me in the correct direction. I didn’t have to apologize for a quick lunch because my company was most likely already late for their next meeting. I could walk out in whatever style I wanted without the awkward stare people at a liberal college give when someone wears something that is actually fashionable and not considered a Total Sorority Move recommended outfit. 

New York City encourages people to be who they want to be, not who they “should” be. It is a breath of fresh air not to be judged, but to be appreciated for the new taste brought into the streets, for the new and crazy ideas brought to the table, and the new crazy friendships that were brought into my life.

Although my time in New York City came quicker than I wanted it too, I can only hope that I will have the opportunity to move back once again to experience the city on a deeper level, to create more permanent friendships, and to make more lasting memories. If there’s anything this experience has taught me, it’s that sometimes it is a good idea to leave the place you are most comfortable with to learn more about yourself than you would have otherwise. Putting myself in a position so uncomfortable and scary has made me more confident than I have ever been, and more appreciative of the world in which I live in.

All I can say is that to anyone who has dreams larger than life—just as I do—it is imperative that you get out there. You will be surprised to find that there are people just like you who will push you to become all that you want, just as I have.

I am currently a junior at Stetson University who is ready get things going! Growing up in D.C., I developed a keen sense for fashion, a thick skin, and a yearning for success. It was only recently that I took the leap of faith and permanently moved down to Florida, not far from where I attend school, so I could pursue my love for fashion, warm weather, and a fast-paced life. I can remember my first day at Stetson University like it was yesterday with all the chaos of meeting new friends mixed with the anxiety of new classes and nervousness of being alone for the first time, but most of all my biggest concern was the stress of figuring out how I could possibly pop out of my bubble and become what I wanted to be: the confident, successful, and driven college student who would not follow but create the trend! After two years of hard work, through becoming a part of the Greek life scene, joining many different organizations and learning from prior upperclassmen who have become successful, I have created communication and leadership skills that I am forever grateful for. With a recently new found passion for the journalistic side of life, I cannot wait to be apart of something bigger than I have ever been before so I can continue learning and gaining memorable experiences that will help me in my goal to make my lifelong dreams and aspirations come to life!
 I am currently a junior at Stetson University who is ready get things going! Growing up in D.C., I developed a keen sense for fashion, a thick skin, and a yearning for success. It was only recently that I took the leap of faith and permanently moved down to Florida, not far from where I attend school, so I could pursue my love for fashion, warm weather, and a fast-paced life. I can remember my first day at Stetson University like it was yesterday with all the chaos of meeting new friends mixed with the anxiety of new classes and nervousness of being alone for the first time, but most of all my biggest concern was the stress of figuring out how I could possibly pop out of my bubble and become what I wanted to be: the confident, successful, and driven college student who would not follow but create the trend! After two years of hard work, through becoming a part of the Greek life scene, joining many different organizations and learning from prior upperclassmen who have become successful, I have created communication and leadership skills that I am forever grateful for. With a recently new found passion for the journalistic side of life, I cannot wait to be apart of something bigger than I have ever been before so I can continue learning and gaining memorable experiences that will help me in my goal to make my lifelong dreams and aspirations come to life!