Stress Less Before the Test: 5 Ways to do your best

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stetson chapter.

Summer feels so close, but yet it seems so far away. Only finals week separates you from sunshine and relaxation. You want to do your best but there is just so much to do in so little time. Whether you have a final presentation, exams, or final papers due, here are some healthy ways you can combat unnecessary stress while battling through finals week:

1.    Make a list
The first thing to do when stress hits is to make a list of everything you have to do. This will help you stay organized and on top of things, without feeling overwhelmed. It feels good to be able to check things off on your list; it shows that you are getting stuff accomplished! Instead of looking at the next few weeks as a whole, make sure you take things one at a time. Being stressed about everything will help you accomplish nothing, so it is good to prioritize your list and break things down. Once you are checking things off your list you will realize that summer is even closer than you thought!

2.    Eat and drink healthy

During finals you want to make sure that you are eating the right things that will fuel your brain. It is hard to do this sometimes when you are cramming for deadlines and exams and all you want is something quick and energizing. While you are busy studying you want to make sure that you are snacking on brain food and not junk food. Before you head over to Club DuPont, make sure you grab a healthy snack like an orange, apple, banana, yogurt, popcorn, or nuts. These foods are packed with vitamins that stimulate your brain and don’t slow it down. You also need to make sure you are not overdosing on caffeine. Studying at all hours of the day and night it can be easy to drink too much caffeine. Replacing caffeine with water and junk food with brain food, you will be on your way to a healthier you and an A+ on your exam!

3.    Exercise
Making time for exercise may be the hardest thing to do during the last few weeks of school. Teachers are piling more work on your load, you have to prepare for finals, and you also want to make the best out of your last few weeks at school with everyone. But, exercise will actually benefit you if you make time for it. Exercising releases the stress hormones in your body and can help you think clearer.  Even just a walk around the Hatter Tracks with your friends, intramural games, or yoga can benefit you. Take away some time to get active and to get your brain away from schoolwork and back on track!

4.    Take breaks
Studying and working hard all day and night, it is important to take breaks away from it all.  Whether you paint your nails or call up a friend for 10 minutes, taking time away from schoolwork will give your brain a rest and will help you accomplish more when you return to your work.  If you take time to talk to friend’s maybe they can help you with your stress and let you talk your worries out. Taking time off from working will help you regain strength to finish your studying.

5.    Sleep
Sleep is probably the most important of all because it affects your mood and stress levels. Lack of rest can promote more stress and cause irritability through out the day. As long as you get at least 8 hours of sleep every night, you will not only feel rejuvenated and more alert, but you will be able to cope with stress more easily.

*Fun Fact: Mint stimulates the brain! So next time you feel your thinking is not on track, suck on a mint or chew minty gum for that extra kick!