Skinny Girl Holiday Recipes!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stetson chapter.

It’s that time of year again! We have finals and then we get to go home and celebrate the best time of the year with family and friends! The holidays are great and all but they can easily put a damper on your waistline. Family time, good eating and holiday parties are what we value most about this time of year but we don’t want to totally blow it! Besides the New Year is just around the corner, and we all want to look our best for the start of the year! ;) So put aside those New Year “get skinny” resolutions and do it now! Here are some quick dorm-friendly holiday treats that can get you through finals and the end of the semester holiday cheer skinny! :

Skinny Hot Cocoa

1 1/4 cup 1% milk
1 1/2 Tbsp. unsweetened cocoa
Pinch sea salt
1/4 tsp. pure vanilla extract
1-2 packets stevia or other sweetener of your choice

*Add a candy cane or a cinnamon stick for a little sass!

Chocolate and Granola Apple wedges

1 large apple, cut into 16 wedges

2 oz. semi-sweet chocolate chips

1/3 Cup low-fat granola (maybe cinnamon-apple flavored)

*Dip the apple wedges into the chocolate, then the granola for a healthy and sweet tooth satisfying treat!

White Chocolate Popcorn Crunch

5 cups popped popcorn

1/2 cup dried sweetened cranberries

1/2 cup sliced almonds

12 ounces white chocolate baking chips

1 to 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening

*This is the perfect snack to grab on the go to class!

**For an antioxidant kick, try pomegranates! They are usually in stores around the holidays and they add a yummy burst of flavor on top of yogurt, fro-yo, and salads or you can enjoy them by themselves!

Alayna Burton is a junior at Stetson University pursing a degree in Communications and Journalism. Alayna’s passion for Her Campus began last year when she co-founded her branch in 2011 serving as Director of Publicity and Events, and now Alayna hopes to successfully lead her branch to success as Stetson’s HC Editor in Chief. Outside of Her Campus Alayna is heavily involved with her school, her community and her sorority. Serving on numerous boards and teams including but not limited to Stetson’s event programming board Hatter Productions as Assistant Director, The Deland Community’s fundraising team GreenFeather Executive Board as a day coordinator, The Delta Delta Delta sorority Vice President of Membership, Alayna has gained valuable experience with working with people as well as insight into the world of event planning as well as marketing, branding and public relations. Future goals for Alayna include working in the field of Broadcast Journalism in the Entertainment Industry.