Single Girl Diaries: How young is too young? College Cougars

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stetson chapter.

There comes a time in every college girl’s life where we are no longer the new girl on the block. This of course comes with its perks. We know where all the parties are and what fraternities have the hottest guys, but there’s also a downside to this. Besides the competition with incoming freshmen girls (on their own for the first time and fresh out of a steady high school relationship), our selection of older, eligible men dwindles every year. Eventually, we sit at the top of the food chain and we’re left with the senior males who we know everyone they’ve been with their entire college career (the good, the bad, and the ugly…literally), and the underclassmen. Here’s the pro’s and con’s to dating the younger males and I’ll let you decide, how young is too young.

Hooking up with Juniors   

Pro: They’ve been here just as long as we have BUT they missed freshmen year when you did the walk of shame across campus. You know the same people, might be in the social group, and definitely are both far past your “freshmen mistakes.”

Cons: They’ve been here ALMOST as long as you have so they know most of your college history. Likewise, you know theirs and most likely know some dirt on them.

Juniors get a Single Girl label “Proceed With Caution.” This is basically like dating or hooking up with someone your own age. Unlike the boys below, there’s also a good chance he’s 21 (or will be soon) so your social life can continue as normal.

Hooking up with Sophomores

Pro: They understand college and the dating rituals that occur so you won’t have to break him in. He’s naïve but may come into his own as a man now that they’re not at the bottom of the totem pole.

Con: These guys may have a new sense of entitlement. I call it the “Sophomore Syndrome.” People of this age generally feel like they know everything about college and they rule the school when in reality they’ve only been there two semesters (compared to the six under our belts that’s nothing!).

Sophomores get a “Warning! Back Away Slowly” label because these are the cocky, self-centered guys we’re all (hopefully) over by now. Sophomores will also almost always pick the new younger freshmen over us, it’s the ugly truth. They want someone that’s going to be impressed by their lame moves, and honey, don’t let it be you.

Hooking up with Freshmen

Pro: They’re new. They’re hot. They think older girls are literally goddesses that grace their presence. SCORE!

Cons: With pros like that, you know there had to be some serious cons. Most freshmen (boys and girls) don’t have too much experience with alcohol. Those first few weeks, and months in some cases, you just never know if they’re just buzzed at a party or if they’re even going to remember your name in the morning.

These guys are harder to tie down because they want the college experience but I say “Cougars, Full Speed Ahead.” Freshmen boys will be the most fun you have and will remind you what it was like when college was new and exciting.

College guys, as always, are complicated. If you want a relationship (hey, single girls have to get serious sometime right?) go with the juniors or seniors. Want a fun time but no real future? Of course you do, this is Single Girl Diaries. Go for the freshmen or if you want a challenge try and nab a sophomore!

Remember, college dating is a game. Have fun!

xoxo, Single Girl

Single Girl is your typical college girl trying to survive college life on her own. She allows for a unique perspective on the inner workings of a single girl's brain and says things that every girl in a relationship is too scared or timid to say. Single Girl offers advice, reasoning, and a few funny stories of the trials of being single in college!