This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stetson chapter.

Plaid, a fabric originally referred to as tartan in the UK, made its way to US fashion in the 1930’s. Most popularily seen in the TV show Clueless and Alexander McQueen’s runway looks. Originally known as a typical pattern for a lumberjacks shirt, plaid is now used to create looks that are both edgy-grunge and preppy-chic. Plaid is again becoming a hot print for this fall season. With so many different shades and types there are millions of ways to play with plaid within your wardrobe. Whether you are going for a punkrock, preppy, or a fun look, adding plaid to your outfit is definitely a must!

Punk Rock in Plaid

This edgy take on plaid is a fierce look for the office. Its boldness is transferable from the outfit to the model giving her a confident persona. The use of dark colors in the top and jacket counterbalances the plaid in the skirt. Accessorizing with white heels, a color block bag, red lipstick, and leather jacket pulls the outfit together while adding a hint of street style. Overall this is a hot look that is very popular in the current fashion world.

Preppy in Plaid

Plaid can also be used to create a more feminine preppy look. The plaid shirt paired with the boyfriend cardigan gives off the persona of a prep girl, reminding us of something that might be worn as a school uniform. The skinny jeans cuffed and combined with the statement necklace and handbag gives the look an element of femininity. This piece makes a great fashion statement for any day.

Date Night in Plaid

Plaid can also be used to shape an outfit through accessories. Pairing the staple little black dress with a plaid scarf enhances the already timeless piece. The addition of your favorite date night heels makes this a hot look for any date. 

Since I was a little girl I have always had a strong passion for fashion. Whether it be feeding my crazy shopping addiction, designing my own clothes, working in retail or simply studying the styles around me. I am always analyzing “what’s hot”. I may be a Florida girl but my heart is definitely in New York City and I am grateful for my opportunity to write for Her Campus as a stepping stone on my way to the city.