New Twists on Traditional Thanksgiving Food

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stetson chapter.

Warning: You may experience the sensation of hunger after reading this article.

I can write my family’s Thanksgiving menu with my eyes closed. What’s more, I could even tell you who’s going to bring each of those signature dishes to the big meal this Thursday. Yeah, the traditions haven’t changed much in the past decade. I’ve been in charge of cranberry sauce since I was eight years-old, despite the fact that my culinary skills have since expanded past opening a can of pineapple chunks.

There is something comforting in the familiarity of our favorite holiday dishes, but I’m advocating for the option to spice things up a bit this year (I’m just going to leave that bad pun there and move on).

Dessert comes first, because we are all adults here and we can eat pumpkin pie before the turkey if we so choose.

Apple is always a popular choice when it comes to dishes made in the Fall, especially in pie form. By using cookie cutters to specialize your crust, you can move one notch closer to being the reincarnation of Julia Child.

Pumpkin is by far my favorite squash (sorry, butternut), and though there are nearly endless possibilities of baking with it, a fresh twist on delicious tiramisu is particularly appealing. To make it yourself, you just need the usual ingredients like drip coffee, whip cream, cream cheese, lady fingers, and a can of pure pumpkin to give it that autumn taste!

You don’t have to be a sweet tooth to enjoy a Thanksgiving meal. We’re talking protein next—whether you’re a member of the carnivore family or a veggie lover.

Whether you bake, fry, or smoke it, turkey will most likely be on the menu. You can give the bird a new flavor by injecting it with ranch dressing like Trisha Yearwood, or even brine it in brown sugar to give it a sweeter taste.

Maybe you’re not on the meat bandwagon. Fear not, my vegetarian friends, for there is tofurkey. Of course, you already knew that—but did you know that you can make homemade tofurkey with spices, stuffing, and tofu, seasoned to your personal taste? Girl, Pinterest it.

Finally, there’s always that finishing touch. The cherry on top, come might say. Only in this case, it’s the gravy on top.

There’s bacon bits, apple cider vinegar, mushrooms and more. Gravy is the smoothie of Thanksgiving foods: throw in what you want, and make it taste good. Ree Drummond, more commonly known as the Pioneer Woman, even sweetens hers with maple syrup. That may be a bit too Buddy the Elf for you, but don’t be afraid to have fun with it!

Now, go make something delicious, and remember to be thankful for the food on your fork!

I am a Stetson University Hatter, majoring in English, and loving my beautiful Florida home!
I am a Psychology Major with minors in French and Gender Studies on a Pre-Med. While I want to focus my future career on women's health, I currently want to focus on uplifting the voices of the women on my campus! I am an intersectional feminist, I love Beyoncé and my twitter page is a visual representation of my personality.