This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stetson chapter.

“John B. is definitely a character that loves attention. You’ll probably find him somewhere between the Hatter dancers flexing his muscles or impressing the crowd with his moves on the court. He can’t wait to get his spotlight on the football field to lead the Hatter fans alongside the cheerleaders in crowd-rocking spirit for the games.” –quoted by Stetson’s Mascot-

How did John B.’s character come to life?
“Tae Madden, an expert mascot trainer was recruited to help establish the swagger, mannerisms, signature moves, and even the walk of the John B. The uniform itself did most of the work but the students chosen to embody the suit had to be spirited, and pump life into such an iconic figure. After publicity photoshoots of John B., a crash course by Tae Madden on mascot “dos and don’ts,” television interviews by local news outlets, and a few run-through rehearsals, John B. was geared to make his grand appearance to dazzle the crowd of Stetson students.”

What are some steps you take to fully take on the character of John B.?
“To get into character, we normally start stretching and then turn on some swag music to bring out the John B. in us. Now that we’re a part of the spirit of the mascot, it doesn’t take long before we’re pumped and ready to let John B. do his magic on the court. I wanted to re-energize the campus and help restore the campus spirit that has been so displaced. It’s always nice to run through the stands dancing next to stoic spectators and loosening them up to cheer the Hatters on.”

What’s John B.’s signature move?
“John B’s signature move is a backbend all the way to the ground, with a whirling whip in hand. I always like to think that he’s getting geared to lasso up the Hatter rivals.”

What’s your favorite part about being Stetson’s mascot? How does it feel to know that you are bringing back the spirit of Stetson?
“My goal for John B. is to continue to empower and electrify the student body in the wake of the Stetson football returning to our University. Stetson students have much to be spirited about– our Greek system, the high level of academic achievement at our University, and the many club, intramural, and school athletics programs– our football team is just another reason we should be able to take pride in our University.”

Alayna Burton is a junior at Stetson University pursing a degree in Communications and Journalism. Alayna’s passion for Her Campus began last year when she co-founded her branch in 2011 serving as Director of Publicity and Events, and now Alayna hopes to successfully lead her branch to success as Stetson’s HC Editor in Chief. Outside of Her Campus Alayna is heavily involved with her school, her community and her sorority. Serving on numerous boards and teams including but not limited to Stetson’s event programming board Hatter Productions as Assistant Director, The Deland Community’s fundraising team GreenFeather Executive Board as a day coordinator, The Delta Delta Delta sorority Vice President of Membership, Alayna has gained valuable experience with working with people as well as insight into the world of event planning as well as marketing, branding and public relations. Future goals for Alayna include working in the field of Broadcast Journalism in the Entertainment Industry.