Matthew Nichols: Inspired to Compose Music in Honor of Logan Kushner

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stetson chapter.

Did Logan’s death inspire you to write any music or think about how to express yourself in any other creative outlets?
“I am currently working on 3 separate pieces of music dedicated to Logan and his life. I expect a 3-5 month process will be necessary to get the quality I want. I try not to think about losing my best friend, it has been very difficult and hard to talk about, but I know he wouldn’t want me to be upset about it, he would tell me, “go write me a sick dubstep song brah”, and that’s exactly what I’m going to do.”

What was the purpose of the song choice? Are there any special stories about this song?
“The song title says it, “Swing Life Away.” He went out there everyday and lived life to the fullest. He regretted nothing and lived better in 19 years than most do in their whole lives. He was so extroverted and outgoing, you couldn’t help but love the guy. It’s a song that says a lot for me and has a lot of meaning, it was one of the first songs I ever learned to play and sing along to. It was a huge learning jump in my musical abilities and its impact is similar to how much Logan taught me in the short amount of time I knew him.”

Tell me about your relationship with Logan… Was it emotionally hard to perform at his memorial service?
“He was my little brother in Pi Kappa Alpha, and he was one of my best friends. The kid truly cared about people, especially ones he considered family (like me, his big brother). He’d do anything for me. We’d go out to restaurants, and me being single, he would introduce me to every girl he could as, ‘the President of Pike and the best guy you could ever know.’ He was my best friend in the whole world. He was loving, selfless and genuine. A few years ago my grandfather, whom I was very close with, passed away. At his funeral I was asked to play ‘Taps’ (the military farewell song) on my trumpet he had purchased for me. That was one of the hardest things I’ve ever done in my life, and playing that song for Logan’s vigil was just as hard. I’m good at burying how I really feel, and I felt it was extremely important to do the same at the candle vigil, because if I can’t stay strong, why should anyone else? Lastly, he’s the only guy I knew who would call me up just to make sure I’m doing okay and would end a call with, ‘I love you brah.’ I’ve had girlfriends who wouldn’t even do that.”

What are some important lessons you’ve learned from Logan?
“Logan taught me many lessons. He taught me to believe more in myself and taught me that a simple smile can be all a person needs sometimes. Lastly, in the end, he has taught me to take life by the horns; I can’t afford to have any more what-ifs in my life. I need to live my life to the max, take chances and succeed. So when I see him again someday, I can give him a huge hug and talk about how much he did for me in his short period of life.”

Alayna Burton is a junior at Stetson University pursing a degree in Communications and Journalism. Alayna’s passion for Her Campus began last year when she co-founded her branch in 2011 serving as Director of Publicity and Events, and now Alayna hopes to successfully lead her branch to success as Stetson’s HC Editor in Chief. Outside of Her Campus Alayna is heavily involved with her school, her community and her sorority. Serving on numerous boards and teams including but not limited to Stetson’s event programming board Hatter Productions as Assistant Director, The Deland Community’s fundraising team GreenFeather Executive Board as a day coordinator, The Delta Delta Delta sorority Vice President of Membership, Alayna has gained valuable experience with working with people as well as insight into the world of event planning as well as marketing, branding and public relations. Future goals for Alayna include working in the field of Broadcast Journalism in the Entertainment Industry.