How to Stay in Touch with Summer!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stetson chapter.

Listen up ladies! Ever notice how fab your hair tends to look after a day spent by the ocean? Well, due to the fact that it is still hot, bright, and feels just like summer weather, it’s still socially acceptable to do naturally “beachy waves” to your hair! However, winter is creeping up on us so NOW is the time to learn and do this! Even if you can’t make it to the beach anytime soon, you can still get perfectly tousled hair regardless of your hair type, and with very little effort!

Majority of girls already have some natural waves to their hair so spraying a good salt spray is a great tool to bring it out! A good salt spray works for practically any type of hair (thick, wavy, thin, etc.) and you can find it at basically any drug store or Wal-Mart! First, you need to experiment which salt spray works best for you, and how much you should apply to your hair. Most of the time, less is best (especially for really thick hair). Apply the salt spray when your hair is either wet or damp by spraying a little in your hair. Follow by cupping the ends of your hair and scrunching it up to your roots. Let your hair air dry, and you are good to go! 

Now, if that method does not seem to work for you, apply some heat to your hair! 3-barrel curling irons or “waving irons” can give the beach hair look. For smaller waves, you’ll want a waver with a smaller barrel. For larger waves, use a waver with a larger barrel! Always make sure before to use heat protection on your hair so it does not get damaged! To get these waves, simply spray heat protection on the hair that will be curled or waved, separate the hair into sections, clamp down and hold for a few seconds, and repeat. Finally, finish it off with a nice hair spray to hold those natural beachy waves!

Okay so you want the natural waves in your hair but you do not want to purchase any products, use the bun method! First, wash your hair and separate it into equal parts. Follow by twisting and wrapping damp hair into either two, or four, low buns depending on the thickness of your hair. Use little hair spray, or even salt spray then let it sit till it dries! The best and easiest way to do this is right after you shower at night so when morning comes around, your hair is already done! When you wake up, undo the buns, comb through your hair with your fingers then finish it off with hair spray.

Always remember though, practice makes perfect! The first time you try any of these methods it may not go as planned, but if you continue to practice, eventually doing beachy waves will be a piece of cake!

I am currently a junior at Stetson University who is ready get things going! Growing up in D.C., I developed a keen sense for fashion, a thick skin, and a yearning for success. It was only recently that I took the leap of faith and permanently moved down to Florida, not far from where I attend school, so I could pursue my love for fashion, warm weather, and a fast-paced life. I can remember my first day at Stetson University like it was yesterday with all the chaos of meeting new friends mixed with the anxiety of new classes and nervousness of being alone for the first time, but most of all my biggest concern was the stress of figuring out how I could possibly pop out of my bubble and become what I wanted to be: the confident, successful, and driven college student who would not follow but create the trend! After two years of hard work, through becoming a part of the Greek life scene, joining many different organizations and learning from prior upperclassmen who have become successful, I have created communication and leadership skills that I am forever grateful for. With a recently new found passion for the journalistic side of life, I cannot wait to be apart of something bigger than I have ever been before so I can continue learning and gaining memorable experiences that will help me in my goal to make my lifelong dreams and aspirations come to life!
 I am currently a junior at Stetson University who is ready get things going! Growing up in D.C., I developed a keen sense for fashion, a thick skin, and a yearning for success. It was only recently that I took the leap of faith and permanently moved down to Florida, not far from where I attend school, so I could pursue my love for fashion, warm weather, and a fast-paced life. I can remember my first day at Stetson University like it was yesterday with all the chaos of meeting new friends mixed with the anxiety of new classes and nervousness of being alone for the first time, but most of all my biggest concern was the stress of figuring out how I could possibly pop out of my bubble and become what I wanted to be: the confident, successful, and driven college student who would not follow but create the trend! After two years of hard work, through becoming a part of the Greek life scene, joining many different organizations and learning from prior upperclassmen who have become successful, I have created communication and leadership skills that I am forever grateful for. With a recently new found passion for the journalistic side of life, I cannot wait to be apart of something bigger than I have ever been before so I can continue learning and gaining memorable experiences that will help me in my goal to make my lifelong dreams and aspirations come to life!