This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stetson chapter.

Meet Dereck Williams, the new Campus Celebrity! Dereck is an education major and is super involved on campus and is always seen with a huge smile on his face with a bubbly and outgoing personality to go along with it. He is a proud brother of Delta Sigma Phi and serves as recruitment AND philanthropy chair as an incoming sophomore! That is a lot of responsibility, but of course, he can handle it and has the skills to make his time serving the best yet. Dereck says, “I knew I always wanted to be in a fraternity, and once I found Delta Sig, I knew I was with my group. I am definitely the hype man of Delta Sig.”

Dereck is a huge social butterfly and loves to be able to make others laugh and be happy. That is a big reason why he cheers. It is a way for him to perform and show who he is, and put smiles on other people’s faces. Dereck is very humble and enjoys and feeds off of other people’s happiness. “Whenever I am dancing around on the court or field and I see the smiles and joy on the crowd’s face, then I know I am doing what I am supposed to be doing.” Dereck says.

Dereck is also a Focus Leader on campus which allows him to get to know incoming students, take them under his wing, and show them about what college life and being a Stetson Hatter is all about. Another thing Dereck brings to the table is that he is a Student Ambassador which means he gives tours and has prospective students sleep in his room overnight. He also has a campus job in admissions. He does paperwork and calls prospects to keep them informed of events Stetson has across the country.

Although he is extremely busy contributing a lot of his time on campus and to his brothers, he still has time for some hobbies. His hobbies include dancing, hanging with friends, and doing anything to make people happy. He has decided that he wants to become a teacher so he can make a positive change in teenagers’ lives. Dereck finishes up by saying, “I think if I could do anything in the world it would be to travel across the globe, just helping people and making them happy. Everyone from a CEO of a company all the way down to the man who is looking for somewhere warm to sleep. I really do want to heal the world.” Dereck has such a kind heart and loves to have fun with other people because he knows it brings happiness to them. If you don’t already know him, you should just simply say, “Hi, how are you?” because I guarantee you, just from that, he will take the time to get to know you and winding up being one of the best people you have ever met.

I am currently a junior at Stetson University who is ready get things going! Growing up in D.C., I developed a keen sense for fashion, a thick skin, and a yearning for success. It was only recently that I took the leap of faith and permanently moved down to Florida, not far from where I attend school, so I could pursue my love for fashion, warm weather, and a fast-paced life. I can remember my first day at Stetson University like it was yesterday with all the chaos of meeting new friends mixed with the anxiety of new classes and nervousness of being alone for the first time, but most of all my biggest concern was the stress of figuring out how I could possibly pop out of my bubble and become what I wanted to be: the confident, successful, and driven college student who would not follow but create the trend! After two years of hard work, through becoming a part of the Greek life scene, joining many different organizations and learning from prior upperclassmen who have become successful, I have created communication and leadership skills that I am forever grateful for. With a recently new found passion for the journalistic side of life, I cannot wait to be apart of something bigger than I have ever been before so I can continue learning and gaining memorable experiences that will help me in my goal to make my lifelong dreams and aspirations come to life!