8 Reasons Why the No Contact Rule is the Best Way to Handle an Ex

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stetson chapter.

#1 You can’t move on.

You can’t move on if you are stuck seeing and talking to your ex all of the time because you are always, even if just a little bit, going to be reminded of the relationship you used to have.

#2 Your feelings could spark up again.

Even though the status of the relationship changed in a snap, your feelings never do. There is always a chance that if you regularly hang around your ex, feelings could easily be rekindled just by a few words or actions.

#3 Focus getting over it.

It is so much easier and less stressful to get over your ex if you do not have to see them or hear from them at all. Find something that distracts you, hang out with your close friends, and do fun things. Even do things your ex did not want you to do, to see if you actually enjoyed it, and if you did, it will make you realize how nice it is to not have that person influencing your life.

#4 You are more forgiving.

If your ex was not the best boyfriend/girlfriend to you or they did something to completely betray you, when they finally come around to sweet talk you and apologize, you are a lot more likely to forgive them and take them back which will only lead to a more toxic relationship and heart break.

P.S. If you need someone to fill the void, make sure it is NOT your ex. Just because you are comfortable with them does not mean you need them, you will end up hurting yourself even more. Be adventurous, find someone else.

#5 You feel like you cannot be with anyone else.

When you disregard the no contact rule and stay in touch with your ex, you may feel like you are doing something wrong when it comes to seeing someone else. You feel like you are hurting them, when in reality you are hurting yourself AND the person you could potentially have a great relationship with. If you tell the new person you need time to think about who you want because you have been in touch with your ex, you may be likely to push the new person away and lose out on something that could be amazing.

#6 On and off roller coaster relationship.

When exes ignore the no contact rule and stay in touch, almost all the time, they could end up getting back together because they’re both lonely and need someone in their life so they do not feel empty. This could also start a pattern within the relationship because they think it is okay to break up or take breaks because they know their ex will be waiting to catch them when the other chooses to come back.

#7 You can’t be yourself around your ex again.

A breakup should change everything about the relationship.  HELLO! You’re breaking up. You can’t just wrap your ex in your arms or kiss them goodbye when you feel like it. There should be some awkward tension in the air unless both of you are completely over each other.

#8 The possibility of ruining a current relationship.

If your ex is not over you, and you are already back in the game with someone new, is it really worth going through all of the drama? Maybe you and the new beau are happy and now you have someone who is constantly trying to get your attention, make the new beau mad, and drive you two away from each other so that the two exes can rekindle and fix their already broken relationship. Can you really deal with that? Do you honestly want to burden your new relationship with all of that drama? No! Didn’t think so.

So, moral of the story: STAY AWAY FROM YOUR EX. You are exes for a reason.

Single Girl is your typical college girl trying to survive college life on her own. She allows for a unique perspective on the inner workings of a single girl's brain and says things that every girl in a relationship is too scared or timid to say. Single Girl offers advice, reasoning, and a few funny stories of the trials of being single in college!
 I am currently a junior at Stetson University who is ready get things going! Growing up in D.C., I developed a keen sense for fashion, a thick skin, and a yearning for success. It was only recently that I took the leap of faith and permanently moved down to Florida, not far from where I attend school, so I could pursue my love for fashion, warm weather, and a fast-paced life. I can remember my first day at Stetson University like it was yesterday with all the chaos of meeting new friends mixed with the anxiety of new classes and nervousness of being alone for the first time, but most of all my biggest concern was the stress of figuring out how I could possibly pop out of my bubble and become what I wanted to be: the confident, successful, and driven college student who would not follow but create the trend! After two years of hard work, through becoming a part of the Greek life scene, joining many different organizations and learning from prior upperclassmen who have become successful, I have created communication and leadership skills that I am forever grateful for. With a recently new found passion for the journalistic side of life, I cannot wait to be apart of something bigger than I have ever been before so I can continue learning and gaining memorable experiences that will help me in my goal to make my lifelong dreams and aspirations come to life!