Sam Fisher ’14

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stanford chapter.

Can’t make it out to watch all of your favorite Stanford athletes?  Don’t worry!  Tune into KSZU, Stanford’s own radio station, to hear Sam Fisher bring you the play by play.  Broadcast on 90.1 FM and live online, you never have to miss out on a thing!
How did you get involved with KZSU?

It’s actually a bit of a funny story. One of my freshman dorm mates, Rasmus Rygaard, was a music DJ for KZSU and heard they needed more sports guys. As everyone in the dorm knew I was a huge sports fan, Rasmus convinced me to give it a try. Ever since I first set in the station I’ve been hooked. 

What experience do you have in broadcasting?
Before I started at KZSU, I’d never had any experience broadcasting whatsoever. I started out on our sports talk whow, the Sports Zoo, and continued on to Women’s Basketball and Baseball last season. This year I helped out with our women’s volleyball coverage before taking the lead on our Women’s Basketball team. Right now, I’m actually in Los Angeles with Stanford Baseball as they take on UCLA.

What is your favorite part about KZSU?
This is a tough question, as there are so many possible answers. At the end of the day, I would say traveling with Stanford’s Sports teams. Being on the road with the teams is a great experience and always a lot of fun. I’ve been to some really cool places with great nightlife, like Austin, Texas, or big-time stadiums, like The Staples Center in Los Angeles and The Pepsi Center in Denver.

What’s your favorite non-athletic KSZU broadcast?

I’m going to go with two answers on this one. I’m a big fan of Jack Wang’s “The Big Love Show” on every monday from 3-6PM and Nick & Noah’s show, on this quarter on Thursday’s from 7-9PM. Hanging around the station during either slot is always a good time.

What’s your favorite sport to watch?  To broadcast?

This question’s going to get me in trouble with one of the teams I cover! I’d have to say my favorite sport to watch is football. I’ve been a huge football fan my entire life, and football is the sport that I played at the highest level. The intensity of a football game is really unmatched. I’ll be broadcasting football for the first time this fall. So far, my favorite sport to broadcast is baseball. I grew up listening to baseball on the radio every night on the clock radio next to my bed, so it’s the most natural radio sport for me. I used to love just closing my eyes and letting the broadcasters paint a picture for me, and my style now completely reflects that. Hopefully people feel the same way when listening to me now.

Do you plan to pursue broadcast journalism after Stanford?  Where do you see yourself in 5 years?

Right now I feel like a lot of Stanford athletes. I’m fully committed to my academics, but broadcasting professionally is definitely a dream of mine. I see myself following that dream for at least the next 5 years. I’m working on my sports writing as well, so hopefully there’s a spot for me somewhere in the sports media world. If not, I think I could also be happy doing something else closer to my academic studies.

What else are you involved in on campus?
To be honest, this year there hasn’t been much time outside my classes and my KZSU commitments. For next year, I’m really excited to be an RA in Lantana. The RFs, Jim and Andrea, are awesome, and I’m looking forward to helping make Lantana a great place to be for 2012-2013!
Allison is the Her Campus Correspondent at Stanford University, majoring in Communication (and maybe Art History!). She is working her way up the magazine ladder in New York City with an editorial internship at InStyle Magazine under her belt.  Originally from Windermere, FL, Allison spends her free time watching football, devouring sweets and online shopping. You can follow her on Twitter at @allisonotis and on Pinterest!