Hookup Do’s and Dont’s

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stanford chapter.

If he likes you, he’ll let you know. Always end a phone call first. Don’t accept a last minute date. Okay, so some of those may be good pieces of advice, but you get our point. With so much conflicting information swirling around, it’s hard to keep your head on straight –much less know how to proceed in the often-confusing world of dating. Make that non-dating (C’mon, when’s the last time you went out for a candlelit dinner?). That’s why we’ve compiled a list of advice from fellow collegiates about what to do and what not to do when it comes to hooking up.

“Keep texts short. Guys don’t want to hear a monologue about your day. Keep it simple.” –Ashley, Williams ‘14

“Don’t bite my neck like a vampire.” -Robbie, Stanford ’15
Hickeys are not so much fun the next day in office hours in front of your professor.

“Don’t blackout.” -Gabby, Stanford ‘15
Liquid courage, okay. Liquid sloppiness, not cute.

“Make sure that you are on the same page with the person you are hooking up with in regards to how serious the hook up is.” –Bianca, NYU ‘14

“Don’t mistake a booty call for a relationship.” –Anonymous
A common thread for collegiettes. Protect your heart and manage expectations!

“Guys don’t have to initiate everything.” –Megan, Stanford ‘15

“Don’t put a sock on the door. Just text your roommate if you need privacy.” –Dana, Stanford ‘15

“Don’t do anything you don’t feel comfortable with.” -Bianca, NYU ‘14

Allison is the Her Campus Correspondent at Stanford University, majoring in Communication (and maybe Art History!). She is working her way up the magazine ladder in New York City with an editorial internship at InStyle Magazine under her belt.  Originally from Windermere, FL, Allison spends her free time watching football, devouring sweets and online shopping. You can follow her on Twitter at @allisonotis and on Pinterest!