Drink This, Not That: Starbucks Edition

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stanford chapter.

Starbucks is here!  Starbucks is here!  Possibly the last university in the world to embrace a franchise, Stanford has finally welcomed the wildly popular chain to campus.  Thanks to the new Starbucks in Tressider, we no longer have to schlep our bags to the El Camino or University Ave locations.  But as much as we collectively rejoice a new place to study that doesn’t have that CoHo-smell, the blinding lights of Axe and Palm or the eery quiet of the Bender Room, beware of the potential calorie mine that is the Starbucks menu.  Thankfully, we here at Her Campus have scoured the menu and found your favorite drinks made better!  

The Worst Offender Drink This Instead!
Mocha Cookie Crumble Skinny Iced Caramel Macchiato

470 calories 140 calories
18 g fat 1 g fat
76 g carbs 21 g carbs
2 g fiber 0 g fiber
6 g protein 11 g protein

Craving something cold and sweet, but want to avoid the thinly disguised milkshake known as a frappacino? Look no further than the Iced Caramel Macchiato -skinny that is. Lighten up next to any menu on the item by choosing nonfat milk, skipping the whip cream and sugar-free syrup.

Check out the nutrition facts on these easy healthy substitutions!

Name Calories Fat (g) Carbs (g) Fiber (g) Protein (g)
Caffè Latte (2% milk) 190 7 18 0 12
Caffè Latte (skim milk) 130 0 19 0 13
Caramel Macchiato (2% milk) 240 7 34 0 10
Caramel Macchiato (skim milk) 190 1 35 0 11
Iced Coffee (no milk) 90 0 21 0 0
Mocha Cookie Crumble (2%, whip) 470 18 76 2 6
Mocha Cookie Crumbe (skim, no whip) 320 4 71 2 5
Chai Tea Latte (2%) 240 4.5 45 0 8
Chai Tea Latte (skim milk) 210 0 45 0 8
Shaken Iced Green Tea Lemonade 130 0 33 0 0

*Pictures from Starbucks.com

Allison is the Her Campus Correspondent at Stanford University, majoring in Communication (and maybe Art History!). She is working her way up the magazine ladder in New York City with an editorial internship at InStyle Magazine under her belt.  Originally from Windermere, FL, Allison spends her free time watching football, devouring sweets and online shopping. You can follow her on Twitter at @allisonotis and on Pinterest!