Get giveaways and the hottest HC content in your inbox!

Sign up for HC Study Break
Get HC in your inbox!

Stanford Blog

Catwalk to Campus: Stanford Bookstore Chic for $40 or Less

By Roxanna Reaves
November 13, 2012 - 4:30am

Going to a California school has obvious perks—great weather, great diversity, and great opportunities. Still, there's another perk that's often overlooked too…great fashion! Stanford students have great style, and the Stanford apparel definitely reflects that by offering beachy pieces designed by Hurley and preppy outfits by Brooks Brothers. But dannnngg are the prices can be steep! Fortunately, HerCampus has compiled a list of 7 items of clothing that won't empty your wallet.    1) Plaid Flannel Pajama Shorts ($18.95) READ MORE

Omnomnom: Mayfield Café and Bakery

By Elizabeth Rosen
October 8, 2012 - 8:00pm

This summer, I decided to go where no Rosen has gone before, a daring and frightful land of responsibility, energy, and hormonal teenagers. That’s right: camp counselor for Stanford hopefuls otherwise known as EPGY. Every couple of days, I found myself wanting – no, needing – nothing more than to escape the high school madness and collect myself in the outside world over a hearty brunch and my newest summer reading conquest (The Beautiful and the Damned). Don’t get me wrong, it was an amazing bunch of high school students, but… high school students. Yeesh. READ MORE

Catwalk Campus: Fall's Best Trends for Under $50

By Katherine Cheng
October 1, 2012 - 8:00pm

Straight from every September issue out there, we bring you the most sought after fashion and beauty trends, how to rock them and where you can find them on a budget. READ MORE

Omnomnom: La Bodeguita del Medio

By Elizabeth Rosen
September 30, 2012 - 6:03pm

During my college-long search for authentic key lime pie within reasonable distance of Stanford, I came across La Bodeguita del Medio. As a native Floridian raised in California, I’ve always loved Cuban food but have had trouble finding it on the West Coast. Thankfully, this California Avenue throwback to 1960s Havana did the trick. READ MORE

Catwalk to Campus: Uniqlo and MUJI Open in SF

By Katherine Cheng
September 25, 2012 - 8:00pm

If you’re looking to spice up your weekend or are in dire need of retail therapy, look no further than Uniqlo and Muji. These Japanese retailers are making an entrance into San Francisco this fall like none other. For those of you unfamiliar with these brands, it’s time you hop on the Cal train into the city to see what the fuss is all about. The first words that come to mind when I think of Uniqlo and Muji are cheap and chic. If you’re a fan of basics -think simple silhouettes at incredibly affordable prices-- in every color imaginable, these cult stores will not disappoint. READ MORE

Omnomnom: The Workshop

By Elizabeth Rosen
May 10, 2012 - 2:42pm

Food – 5/5
After a long day of walking and errand running in the spring quarter sunshine (which, to be honest, we could use a little more of during mid-terms), a delicious, juicy sandwich and ice-cold drink were exactly what I needed. It was Saturday evening before one of Phi Sig’s always-awesome Bar Nights, so my friend decided to strike preemptively and order the Hangover Burger, a massive merger of premium Kobe beef, bacon, egg, avocado, cheddar, steak sauce, and chipotle spread with a side of thick-cut, golden brown French fries.
“In the words of Winston Churchill,” he began when I asked for a description, “fucking amazing.” Alright then.
READ MORE

Omnomnom: Palo Alto Creamery at the Stanford Shopping Center

By Elizabeth Rosen
April 30, 2012 - 8:00am

I’ve always been a sucker for old-school diners, from high-class venues like the Creamery to greasy spoon joints on random street corners, which is why it’s incredible that in nearly three years at Stanford, this was the first time that I made it to either of the Creamery restaurants in Palo Alto. On a surprisingly warm March evening at the end of last quarter, I grabbed a few equally exhausted, relieved, and stress-hungry friends from across campus for an end-of-finals celebration, and we drove down to the Shopping Center for good ol’ burgers and milkshakes. READ MORE

Catwalk to Campus: Printed Denim

By Allison Otis
April 23, 2012 - 6:26am

Forget your white jeans.  Printed denim is making a splash this spring!  From bright florals to subdued pastels, there are a variety of prints to choose from.  In order to tame these bold bottoms, pair these jeans with a neutral top.  Think airy white tees or light tan sweaters.  We love styles from Current/Elliot, Diane von Furstenberg and JBrand (shown from left to right).  Look to Free People and Blank Denim for more budget-friendly options. READ MORE

It's All Greek to Me: How You Know It's Rush Week

By Allison Otis
April 19, 2012 - 1:30am

You Know It’s Rush Week When…
1. Tinsel, tinsel, everywhere.
Those golden streaks in everyone's hair?  Courtesy of Kappa Alpha Theta.
2. Everyone’s cover photos are suddenly pictures of them and their sisters.
Subtle recruitment tactics commence!
3. Your sorority friend is now friends with 50+ people.
Expect your newsfeed to be cluttered with new friend notifications as all of the new members friend each other on Facebook.
4. The requisite Stanford apparel has been replaced by Greek letters.
READ MORE

Omnomnom: Palo Alto Baking Co.

By Elizabeth Rosen
April 3, 2012 - 6:42pm

Palo Alto Baking Company – 3/5

Food – 2/5
READ MORE