Best and Worst of the Golden Globes

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stanford chapter.

It’s that time of year again – award season! We cannot begin to explain to you how excited we are about the fashion-packed nights that are coming our way. We have already gone gaga over some of the looks that walked down the red carpet at the Golden Globes this past Sunday. After carefully flipping through all the candidates again and again, we’ve finally picked out some of the best and worst ensembles from the Globes for you to feast your eyes on.

We’ve decided the our two biggest flops at the Globes were Jessica Chastain’s Calvin Klein Collection pale blue gown and Lena Dunham’s Zac Posen eggplant-colored gown.

The seafoam color is gorgeous on the redheaded “Zero Dark Thirty” actress (who won Best Actress in the Motion Picture Drama category), but the baggy halter has us wondering if her tailor forgot to tighten things up. We were clinging onto our chairs throughout her entire acceptance speech, hoping there wouldn’t be a major nipslip. It’s safe to say that we are all totally obsessed with Girls’ director and actress Lena Dunham, and so happy for her two wins (Best Actress and Best Series) of the night, but the dark color and heavy Zac Posen number appears to be weighing her down. It was definitely a good decision on her part to go light on jewelry.

Moving on to our best-dressed list. Four colors can pretty much sum up the night at the Golden Globes: Red, White, Black, Nude. It is true we are a tiny bit bored with these color choices that keep reappearing over and over and again on the red carpet, but, nonetheless, these style stunners absolutely blew our minds. Our top looks of the night were Anne Hathaway in Chanel, Kerry Washington in Miu Miu and Jennifer Lawrence in Christian Dior.
This delicately embellished Chanel gown is absolutely breathtaking on the Les Mis star. She paired it with her dark-pixie hairdo and no jewelry, simple and pure elegance. She can always pull off a great white number. The peplum on the gown fits so perfectly to her frame, she was definitely one of standouts of the night.

The “Django Unchained” star has been on a roll, totally stealing the show on the red carpet, this is no exception. The peach hue of the dress and sequined detail shine and work so well against her skintone. The very simple cut of the dress is offset by the peek-a-boo effect of the sheer tulle overlay. Her simple hair and makeup complete the look perfectly.

Jennifer Lawrence glowed in this Christian Dior gown. The color of this dress complimented her skin tone so beautifully and her metallic belt accentuated her waist. The voluminous skirt created a “princess-effect” that left us jaw dropping over the Silver Linings Playbook winner.

And now we look forward to more fashion, drama and suspense that we all cannot wait to make a fuss over throughout the rest of award season that ends with the Oscars on February 24th.  

Allison is the Her Campus Correspondent at Stanford University, majoring in Communication (and maybe Art History!). She is working her way up the magazine ladder in New York City with an editorial internship at InStyle Magazine under her belt.  Originally from Windermere, FL, Allison spends her free time watching football, devouring sweets and online shopping. You can follow her on Twitter at @allisonotis and on Pinterest!