BB Cream: It’s Tinted Moisturizer 2.0

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stanford chapter.

Typically not one to succumb to the power of hype, especially in the beauty industry where new products roll out daily, I couldn’t help but wonder what was all the fuss about BB Cream.  Heralded as the best thing to hit the market in years, I knew I had to try it.  The next thing you know, I was strolling through the Sephora aisles.  And a few days later, I was a BB Cream convert.

First, what is BB Cream?  It stands for “beauty balm” and promises to deliver moisturizer, primer, foundation, and sun block all in one. “What makes BB Cream so different?” says Smashbox makeup artist Lori Taylor,  “It’s a bridge between skin care and makeup!” 

Initially formulated in Germany by dermatologist Dr. Christine Schrammek in the 1950s, the cream was used to protect skin after laser procedures and surgery, while also providing light coverage.

Contemporary formulations are fragrance-free, dermatologist tested, and non-acnegenic.  Clinical studies have proven that after four weeks, people can see a noticeable increase in skin moisture, a decrease in fine lines and wrinkles and a decrease in surface shine.

BB Cream can be used alone for light coverage or as a primer under foundation.  For those with dry skin, continue to use your moisturizer before applying the cream.  And for those with oily skin, the cream is all you need!  Use a pea size and starting from the center of your face, blend outwards.

So how does BB Cream differ from Tinted Moisturizer?  It’s a similar concept: sheer, lightweight coverage; however, BB Cream knocks Tinted Moisturizer out of the park, providing greater sun protection, a built-in primer and more pigment.

While Clinique, Dior and Garnier all sell their own versions of BB Cream, if you’re looking for the most sun protection and the widest color variation, Smashbox is your best bet for $39.

Allison is the Her Campus Correspondent at Stanford University, majoring in Communication (and maybe Art History!). She is working her way up the magazine ladder in New York City with an editorial internship at InStyle Magazine under her belt.  Originally from Windermere, FL, Allison spends her free time watching football, devouring sweets and online shopping. You can follow her on Twitter at @allisonotis and on Pinterest!