10 Things You Must Do Before Studying Abroad

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at Stanford chapter.
  1. If you have paperwork to file with the university the quarter you’re gone, then do it before you leave! This sounds so trite, but hustling to scan something when you’re 9 time zones ahead of California…yeah, something you should avoid.
  2. Make sure you can graduate on time! Talk to advisors in your department and map out which classes you need to take around your abroad quarter. They’re super helpful with this, trust me.
  3. If you’re out of the country, leave 4 copies of your passport with family members.
  4. Also, while on the topic of national security, register with the Department of State, telling them your whereabouts. Who knows what can happen, and you want the good ‘ol U.S. of A. on your side in the event of an emergency, national disaster, etc. 
  5. You will be spending money on lots (hey, new discothèques and dry cleaning) of new things you wouldn’t normally spend on back on campus. Surmise what you might be spending on, and create a rough budget around that.
  6. Pack everything involved with the weather. I know, I know. I say this all the time. But you never know when a freak thunderstorm will roll in, and you’re stuck hunting down an umbrella, wasting your time in this fabulous new city. Bring it, even if you think you don’t need it!
  7. See if your friends have travel books! I know the first thing I do after learning I’m going to a new place is buy an overpriced city guide of some sort.  Now they just sit on my shelf. Send out an email blast to your girlies and create a book/map exchange!
  8. Call your bank and credit card companies! If they all of a sudden see random charges in Paris, Florence, South Africa, Australia, Germany, or even DC, they will assume you’re an international spy that stole an identity and ran away with your cards— and they will promptly cut you off. This is great on the security side but annoying when it’s actually you and you need cash from an ATM.
  9. Understand local laws, customs, codes of conduct, etc. Don’t act like an obnoxious tourist. You’ll assimilate within the culture and break the “bubble” much faster if you get along with the people you’re surrounded by.  Plus, you want to come back and say you really immersed yourself.
  10.  Attempt the language, even if you only know a few words. People will be happy if you can carry a conversation in Mandarin/French/German and you’re from the States. It’s a respect thing—don’t assume everyone speaks English. It was embarrassing how badly I spoke Turkish one trip but it was still fun attempting.

Allison is the Her Campus Correspondent at Stanford University, majoring in Communication (and maybe Art History!). She is working her way up the magazine ladder in New York City with an editorial internship at InStyle Magazine under her belt.  Originally from Windermere, FL, Allison spends her free time watching football, devouring sweets and online shopping. You can follow her on Twitter at @allisonotis and on Pinterest!