How Volunteering Changed My Life

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Vincent chapter.

I volunteered at the Give Kids the World Village and it completely changed my life. This incredible organization deserves so much more credit than it is given for the work it does, and I’m hoping to shine some light on their amazing mission today. I stumbled upon the organization online one day and I’m so glad I did.

Give Kids the World is a nonprofit resort located in Orlando, Florida. Their goal is to provide free vacations to families whose children have life-threatening illnesses. By staying at the GKTW village, families are given a fully furnished house to stay in, cost free transportation to attractions, and access to the various restaurants, games, rides, and entertainment on site. (You can learn more about the organization and how it came to be by visiting www.gktw.org.)

The atmosphere at Give Kids the World is strange in the best way possible. The first time I volunteered, I expected everyone I met to be sad; I was pleasantly surprised to discover the exact opposite. The children are energetic, the parents are so appreciative of everything they’re given, the few staff members that GKTW does employ are enthusiastic, helpful and kind, and the other volunteers are obviously passionate about what they’re doing. If I had to explain it simply, I’d just say that it’s impossible not to smile while you’re there.

I have been moved to tears on several occasions though, and other volunteers I’ve talked to have experienced something similar. I was working in the GKTW Castle one day when a family with two young girls came to visit. Walking into The Castle is one of the most humbling things I’ve ever done; the ceiling and walls are completely covered in small metal stars that have been signed by the sick child of every family who visited. Walking in for the first time brought a tear to my eye, but I quickly discovered how rewarding it is to volunteer there. The moment a child makes their star is so significant for the families and being a part of that is so special. The mother of those two girls explained how comforting it was to know that she’d always be able to come back and see that star, regardless of what happened in her child’s life.

Moments like that with families are commonplace at GKTW, but that doesn’t make them any less special. Everyone you meet there has a story, and you quickly realize how interesting and important all of them are. Sometimes they’re difficult to hear, but it’s always worth it. Volunteering at Give Kids the World is something I’d recommend to anyone who has the opportunity to do it. It completely changed my perspective on life. I’m a better person every day because of the experiences I’ve had there. 

I'm Megan Miller, a senior Psychology/Sociology double major and Children's Studies minor. You can find me giving campus tours, kicked back in the Fred Rogers Center, or on a date with my homework at the local coffee shop. If there's one thing you need to know about me, it's that I approach every day with one goal: make Michelle Obama proud.
Juli Cehula

St Vincent '18

Hello there! I am the Campus Correspondent of the Her Campus chapter at Saint Vincent College. As a senior psychology major, I've made the most of my time in undergrad and am excited for all the doors I have opening ahead of me. I can definitely thank Her Campus for giving me invaluable skills. As a future psychologist, I hope that my articles (and the chapter's) are able to make you feel empowered, motivate you to start a conversation, and be kind. As a hero of mine has said, "If you do not take control over your time and your life, other people will gobble it up. If you don't prioritize yourself, you constantly start falling lower and lower on your list."- Michelle Obama. Be the change you want to see in the world, and smile. Always smile!