How to Maintain a Healthy Weight and Feel Good in College

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Vincent chapter.

As a college student, it is easy to struggle maintaining fitness goals or overall health due to busy schedules, all-nighters, fast food runs, low funds and the list goes on. I personally have made it a point to learn more and more about nutrition to better understand my body and its needs. I apply this knowledge to my daily routines to try my best to maintain a healthy weight and healthy habits while at school! Here are some of my top tips to looking good and feeling good in college: 

1. Eat a Filling Breakfast 

o I like to eat more in the morning and afternoons and finish off my day with a lighter dinner because I am typically less active in the evenings. Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day and I always have tons of energy for the day ahead after I eat a filling first meal. 

2. Exercise in Challenging and Fun Ways 

o For me, exercise is a mood booster! Find an activity that challenges you and excites you to be active. Make exercise something to look forward to and switch up the basic college schedule of class, studying, naps, and Netlfix by adding in a workout or two! 

3. Get a Workout Buddy 

o I love working out with my roomie! Having a workout buddy keeps you more motivated plus someone else can hold you accountable to your goals to make sure you are working towards them! 

4. Drink Plenty of Water 

o Not only is hydration essential to our basic health, but drinking plenty of water will help flush out any toxins or junk food you eat and will help you fight off future germs and viruses. 

5. Take Your Vitamins 

o A college diet may not supply our bodies with all of the proper nutrients. You may be missing some nutrients from a lack of fruit or veg. If so, maybe take a multivitamin if you feel like you need one! 

6. Don’t Stress About the Scale 

o Numbers do not define you in any way! Avoid getting into the habit of stressing about how much you weigh or how many calories you consume. Instead, simply listen to your body and make decisions based on how you feel and the nutrients you need. 

7. Meal Prep 

o Our dorm rooms are lacking full kitchens and you may not have extra funds for grocery shopping, so meal prepping may not be a realistic option. However, you can still plan out some of your meals in advance to help you stay on track with healthier options. Check out the cafeteria’s weekly menu and choose which days you will go based on the meals you want! 

8. Sleep More 

o This is probably everyone’s favorite tip to looking good and feeling good! Sleep is certainly one of my favorite things! First off, getting enough sleep will allow you to have more energy for your workout the next day. Also, this gives your brain time to recharge and to make smart decisions. An extra bonus is that you actually burn calories while you sleep! 

There will be many days when you do not feel like exercising, all you want is ice cream, you binge watch Stranger Things, or you stay up all night studying… and that is okay!! I am a firm believer that listening to your body is the most important factor to a healthy lifestyle. After all, part of looking good and feeling good in college is just doing what makes you happy. 

HCXO, 

Marley

- Hi I'm Marley! - I love adventures, creating, photography, and anything outdoors! - Connect with me on Insta so we can heart each other! @marley.sue
Juli Cehula

St Vincent '18

Hello there! I am the Campus Correspondent of the Her Campus chapter at Saint Vincent College. As a senior psychology major, I've made the most of my time in undergrad and am excited for all the doors I have opening ahead of me. I can definitely thank Her Campus for giving me invaluable skills. As a future psychologist, I hope that my articles (and the chapter's) are able to make you feel empowered, motivate you to start a conversation, and be kind. As a hero of mine has said, "If you do not take control over your time and your life, other people will gobble it up. If you don't prioritize yourself, you constantly start falling lower and lower on your list."- Michelle Obama. Be the change you want to see in the world, and smile. Always smile!