How to Get Involved on Campus your Freshman Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Vincent chapter.

Freshman year is one of the most overwhelming times in a college student’s life. No matter how far from home you are, life in college is entirely different from high school, and it can be a huge adjustment, especially during your first semester. One of the best ways to get through this often unsettling time is to get involved on campus. Even at a small college like Saint Vincent, there are numerous opportunities for people of all personality types. 

1. Attend as many campus events as possible 

· This is super important during your first year especially. I know that it can seem intimidating to go to an event where you only know a few other people. But you have an opportunity to connect with a lot of people who might be in your same situation! Follow Saint Vincent social media and check the portal often to see what’s happening on campus. You’d be surprised at all that’s offered! 

2. Join a club or organization 

· Even if you missed this club during the club fair earlier in the semester, tag along with a friend to their next meeting and get involved! The easiest way to make new friends in college is to find people who like the same things that you do. Look on the website for the full list of clubs and groups we have at SVC. I’m sure you’ll find something that interests you! (P.S. We really like Her Campus)

3. Play intramural sports 

· Intramurals are a pretty serious topic at Saint Vincent. Get a group of friends from your pod together and sign up the next time football, soccer, or softball intramurals begin! It’s a great way to hang out with friends and stay active without actually having to go to the gym. 

4. Get an on-campus job 

· I’ve met some of my closest friends through my work-study positions. It’s also a great way to connect with people in other offices around campus that can help you throughout your years at Saint Vincent. Check the Career Center postings for all new jobs, and apply wherever you can. It’s a fun way to meet people, use up some time, and earn some extra cash! 

5. Hang out in the common areas 

· My current three roommates are girls that I shared a pod with freshman year. We’re lucky to have a pod system at Saint Vincent; you have about 18 built in friends on move-in day! Spend some time in your pod’s living room instead of immediately heading to your room and shutting the door. It’s an easy way to connect with new friends and get to know your pod-mates better! 

The best advice I got my freshman year was, “College is what you make of it”. I still think it’s true. If you want to be bored, you’ll find a way to be. But if you want to get involved and meet new people, you have so many opportunities to do so at SVC!

Juli Cehula

St Vincent '18

Hello there! I am the Campus Correspondent of the Her Campus chapter at Saint Vincent College. As a senior psychology major, I've made the most of my time in undergrad and am excited for all the doors I have opening ahead of me. I can definitely thank Her Campus for giving me invaluable skills. As a future psychologist, I hope that my articles (and the chapter's) are able to make you feel empowered, motivate you to start a conversation, and be kind. As a hero of mine has said, "If you do not take control over your time and your life, other people will gobble it up. If you don't prioritize yourself, you constantly start falling lower and lower on your list."- Michelle Obama. Be the change you want to see in the world, and smile. Always smile!