Halloween Costumes on a Budget

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Vincent chapter.

5 Halloween Costumes That Won’t Break the Bank

October is finally here, which means that it is time to start thinking about your Halloween costume! Forget the idea that dressing up is only for little kids. Even if there’s no where to trick or treat, it is still super fun to get dressed up and pretend to be something or someone else for a night.

However, buying a Halloween costume at a party store or online can be expensive! It’s much cheaper to make a costume out of pieces you already have in your closet or are cheaper to buy than a full costume. If you’re looking for a costume this Halloween on a college student budget and time limit, check out the five costume ideas below! 

1. When life gives you lemons… 

Although this isn’t a full costume, it’s perfect if you’re on that college student budget and would like to give out more laughs than frights! A white t shirt, black sharpie, and a bag of lemons is all you need!

2. Scarecrow

Cliché, but cute! This costume pretty much only relies on simple makeup skills, so if you have eyeliner and some blush this would be a cute and low maintenance look for this Halloween. Throw on a flannel and you’re set!

3. Pumpkin Pi

This costume is fun because it’s a riddle too! You could make the pumpkin headband shown using a faux pumpkin decoration glued to a headband. A t shirt and black sharpie would be all you’d need for the pi t shirt, or you could even just print off a large pi symbol and tape or glue it to the shirt. Maybe it’s a little nerdy, but at least it’s on theme!

4. Freudian Slip 

Now here’s one for the Psych majors! Show off your knowledge of Sigmund Freud’s psychoanalytic theories by taping terms associated with Sigmund Freud’s work to a simple slip dress

5. Robber

Finally, here’s a costume that might require a trip to the dollar store, but if you have leggings, a striped shirt, a hat, and gloves, all you might need to buy is a mask and “stolen” money bag. This is a cute and comfortable costume that is simple to create!

Zelie Hummer

St Vincent '20

Saint Vincent College 2020 ~ Chemistry Major, Creative Writing Minor Hello! I'm Zelie and I love writing for HerCampus! Being able to give a voice to my opinions and thoughts and have them published is amazing. I really enjoy my major and going to college at SVC. But I would be nowhere without the support of my faith, family, and my friends! Thank you for stopping by and taking the time to read my articles:)  "Keep your face always towards the sunshine and the shadows will fall behind you." ~Walt Whitman
Juli Cehula

St Vincent '18

Hello there! I am the Campus Correspondent of the Her Campus chapter at Saint Vincent College. As a senior psychology major, I've made the most of my time in undergrad and am excited for all the doors I have opening ahead of me. I can definitely thank Her Campus for giving me invaluable skills. As a future psychologist, I hope that my articles (and the chapter's) are able to make you feel empowered, motivate you to start a conversation, and be kind. As a hero of mine has said, "If you do not take control over your time and your life, other people will gobble it up. If you don't prioritize yourself, you constantly start falling lower and lower on your list."- Michelle Obama. Be the change you want to see in the world, and smile. Always smile!