This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Vincent chapter.

So, what the heck is a girl boss anyway? Urban dictionary defines girl boss as, “A woman in control, taking charge of her own circumstances in work and life. Someone who knows her worth and won’t accept anything less. She is not a ‘mean girl’ in fact, she hates ‘mean girls.’ She is empowering and inspiring to those around her. She kicks ass!” I don’t know about you, but that sounds like something I aspire to be. Here are some well-known girl bosses to look to for inspiration.

Sophia Amoruso

Amoruso’s book titled #GIRLBOSS is largely credited with bringing the term to mainstream pop culture. She is the founder of Nasty Gal, an online clothing store featuring up-and-coming designers. Her story is a classic rags-to-riches tale, and she largely got where she is now with her own hard work and determination. Her story has been adapted into a Netflix series as well.

Michelle Obama

As a lawyer and writer, former First Lady Michelle Obama is a force to be reckoned with. She worked to pass legislation called The School Lunch program, which received bipartisan support, and allows low income students to eat free or reduced-price lunches. She also launched the Reach Higher Initiative to encourage students to pursue education after high school, and with her husband, former President Barack Obama, began Let Girls Learn, a government initiative encouraging the education of girls worldwide. She continues to give speeches and work for these initiatives. Some are even calling for a 2020 presidential run from her. Talk about girl power.

Emma Watson

Emma Watson is a triple threat: actress, academic, and activist. She starred in the Harry Potter movies and the live action version of Beauty and the Beast, among other works. Watson also earned a BA in English literature from Brown University, so she basically is Hermione Granger. On top of that, she is an activist for gender equality and was appointed the United Nations Women Goodwill Ambassador. She has totally earned the title of girl boss.

Oprah

Oprah is the definition of girl boss. She needs no introduction. 

These are just a few examples out of thousands of possibilities. I encourage you to find your own girl boss to aspire to be like. Find your inner girl boss, and you will rule the world.

HCXO,

Rachel

Juli Cehula

St Vincent '18

Hello there! I am the Campus Correspondent of the Her Campus chapter at Saint Vincent College. As a senior psychology major, I've made the most of my time in undergrad and am excited for all the doors I have opening ahead of me. I can definitely thank Her Campus for giving me invaluable skills. As a future psychologist, I hope that my articles (and the chapter's) are able to make you feel empowered, motivate you to start a conversation, and be kind. As a hero of mine has said, "If you do not take control over your time and your life, other people will gobble it up. If you don't prioritize yourself, you constantly start falling lower and lower on your list."- Michelle Obama. Be the change you want to see in the world, and smile. Always smile!