A College Friend Thank You

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Vincent chapter.

A Letter to the Amazing Friends I Made Freshman Year

I never knew friendship could be so easy.

The first day of college. The day where you say goodbye to your parents, practically shoving them out the door, just ready to start the next chapter in your life. You finally get them out of your dorm, shut the door, and now what? You look around at your newly set up room and realize you can’t call your friend back home because they’re in their own dorm room, 200 miles away. This can’t be it, can it? But it is, this is it. For some people, adjusting to college life was difficult. It took a while to find their friend group and figure out where they fit, but not me. That’s where you guys come in.

Thank you.

Thank you for making this college thing so easy.

I found you girls the first week at school. At first, who really knew if this group was going to actually stick through the whole year (or even semester) together? All we knew is that we had someone to eat lunch and walk to class with now. We didn’t know what kind of friendship was actually in the works.

Somewhere, between the walks down the trail and lunches in the shack (because who honestly likes the caf?) we got closer. We formed inside jokes and shared common interests. We started becoming true friends.

The days went on and we all found ourselves congregating in the corner room. That would be our meet up spot the whole semester. We vented about classes, boys, friends, parents; you name it, we talked about it, all in the safety of our group. Of course, people came and went but us seven always found a way back to each other; and I’m so glad we did.

You have taught me so much in our short amount of time together, and I honestly mean it when I say I don’t know how I lived my first eighteen years without you. Somewhere, in between the movie marathons, crying, homework sessions, and late nights laughing until we cried (again), we formed a special bond. A bond that hopefully will carry on into next year and years to come.

I never knew friendship could be so easy. Having friends that just truly look out for you and want the best for you is amazing. We aren’t just friends, we’re therapists, tutors, and even wing women. Thank you for always being there with open arms and open hearts. For never being afraid to say “No, that actually doesn’t look good together” or “No, he’s actually not that cute.” For always being up for a Chic-fil-A trip at 6, or a Walmart run at 12.

I’ve said this countless times already but I’ll say it again and will continue to say it: I am blessed. These friendships I’ve made, I cannot wait to grow and continue, not only throughout college, but throughout life as well. Even though we all don’t live in the same town, state, or even time zone, I know we will continue to be friends and send out support and love across the miles. After all, good vibes know no distance. 

Freshman Communication major at Saint Vincent College Currently working in Events and dreaming of a job working for the Pittsburgh Pirates
Juli Cehula

St Vincent '18

Hello there! I am the Campus Correspondent of the Her Campus chapter at Saint Vincent College. As a senior psychology major, I've made the most of my time in undergrad and am excited for all the doors I have opening ahead of me. I can definitely thank Her Campus for giving me invaluable skills. As a future psychologist, I hope that my articles (and the chapter's) are able to make you feel empowered, motivate you to start a conversation, and be kind. As a hero of mine has said, "If you do not take control over your time and your life, other people will gobble it up. If you don't prioritize yourself, you constantly start falling lower and lower on your list."- Michelle Obama. Be the change you want to see in the world, and smile. Always smile!