This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Vincent chapter.

After this tweet went viral – a lot of controversy has risen on social media regarding one-sided views on the difficulty amongst college majors. Even in real life situations on a college campus, each major seems to have a negative view toward the others. People are regularly belittling the work of others because they see their assignments as being “easier.” I don’t know about everyone else, but from my viewpoint, all majors will get you a job in the field you have interest in, and that’s that. 

You come to college with a career interest in mind and ultimately select your major based off your future plans. Over the next 4+ years, this major will teach you the fundamentals required to chase your dreams. Everyone has different interests and goals in mind – which is the basis by which most pick their major. Not because it’s deemed easier and certainly not to be critiqued by others who have not a clue what their workload truly consists of. 

Before criticizing someone else’s major, think to yourself: “Could I do that?” Because realistically – not everyone could switch between majors with excellence. Everybody is wired differently, has different strengths, and thinks in diverse ways. Ways that may hinder their performance in a major other than their own. I know for me, a biology major, I look at my friend’s homework who is a finance major and there’s no way I could do what she does. My brain just doesn’t work that way – I’m not good with numbers, but she is. That doesn’t mean that either one of us are better, smarter, or puts in more work than the other. It just means that we have different strengths and apply them accordingly. 

Every college major leads to a career that will equally contribute to society. Think about it – the girl who tweeted this, a biochemistry major, may ultimately become a doctor who could one day save a life. While the girl she tweeted about, an education major, may become a teacher who will educate our future generations so they too, have the power to choose what they wish to do with their knowledge. All careers complement each other and contribute to the functioning of the community as a whole. 

This world is already full of so much unnecessary hate and discrimination – belittling someone for their major is something so simple that can be prevented if everyone would just sit back and think it through. Focus on yourself and what you gotta do to reach your goals – not comment on what others are doing in the library. Basically, just have respect for your peers! It’s that easy. You’re all college students, working to achieve your ultimate goal: a degree!! That already makes you a superstar, so please don’t let anyone’s critique of your educational path define your intelligence. 

HCXO 

Ash

Juli Cehula

St Vincent '18

Hello there! I am the Campus Correspondent of the Her Campus chapter at Saint Vincent College. As a senior psychology major, I've made the most of my time in undergrad and am excited for all the doors I have opening ahead of me. I can definitely thank Her Campus for giving me invaluable skills. As a future psychologist, I hope that my articles (and the chapter's) are able to make you feel empowered, motivate you to start a conversation, and be kind. As a hero of mine has said, "If you do not take control over your time and your life, other people will gobble it up. If you don't prioritize yourself, you constantly start falling lower and lower on your list."- Michelle Obama. Be the change you want to see in the world, and smile. Always smile!