Will This Be the Year for Leo?: A Reflection

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

The Oscars are this Sunday, and, being the movie fanatic I am, I may or may not be going home specifically to have an Oscar Viewing Party with my family. I am especially excited this year because of all the Oscar buzz for my favorite actor, Leonardo Dicaprio. Sadly, Leo is famous for not having ever won an Oscar, but I can FEEL that this will be his year. While we anxiously wait, I thought we could reflect on what I believe are his best films – Oscar or no Oscar.

1. Titanic

A young Leo who believes he is King of the World gives us life. Also, he and Kate Winslet are amazing together.

2. Catch Me if You Can

Oh, Leo. You’re so sly, so sneaky, so smart.

3. Revolutionary Road

Leo and Kate work together again and produce so many emotions in this film I can’t even handle it.

4. Shutter Island

Warning: Leo will make you question who you are after this movie.

5. Inception

This Leo will get into your head and also make you question your mind and self. “You are waiting for a train… a train that will take you far away…”

6. The Great Gatsby

And finally, this Leo will melt your heart when he raises his glass to you as elaborate fireworks dance behind him. Maybe not the best book to film adaption, but I think Leo makes up for it.

Unfortunately, I haven’t had time to see The Revenant, but there is no doubt in my mind that Leo is flawless in it. Also, he has said in an interview with Ellen that this was the hardest film he’s ever been apart of. A main reason for that is because everything was filmed in natural light and they only had about an hour a day to do the filming. Or as he puts it, “it was like an episode of Saturday Night Live but nothing was funny.” Don’t worry, Leo, I think all this serious work will pay off soon.

xoxo,

Bridget

Cover Photo Titanic, Catch Me If You Can Revolutionary Road Shutter Island Inception The Great Gatsby