Ways to Adjust Back to Life on the Hill

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

Welcome back for second semester Oles!

As we all know, life on the Hill can be very stressful and returning for a new semester can be a difficult adjustment, especially if you or your friends have been abroad. Hopefully this article can give you some ideas on how to ease the adjustment period as well as get you excited for the coming semester!

1. Reconnect with your friends:

Interim was a weird time of the school year, we were all involved in our classes and many people were missing from campus. Now most people are back and it is a great time to reconnect with our friends! It’s a great time to learn about a friend’s experiences over interim and tell them about yours as well! Try to get your friend group together to go sledding and get a treat in the Cage afterwards, or just get together to study.

2. Get a meal with your roommate:

You don’t have to be best friends with your roommate; however, the start of the semester is a great time to check in. In sharing a meal together, you can catch up and talk about your new classes and schedules. It is also a great time to discuss any problems that might have come up with your living situation.

3. Go to the gym:

The start of a semester is a great time to implement a workout program into your daily routine. Find a time to get to the gym and work out, then stick to your schedule. Your body and mind will thank you for it.

4. Organize your new schedule:

The new semester brings new classes at new times. This means that you need to organize your schedule all over again, scheduling in time for studying, working out and hanging out with your friends. If you schedule most of your time, you will feel much more organized and productive throughout the semester.

5. Get lots of sleep:

Being back with four classes can be exhausting. There’s a lot more homework and studying that needs to be done and the cold weather can drain your energy significantly more. To help combat tiredness and drowsiness make sure you are getting plenty of sleep and hydrating often!

I hope that these tips will make the adjustment back a little bit easier for you all!

HCXO

Title photo, dinner photo, gym photo, planner photo, bed photo.