Tips to Keep You Grounded

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

It’s spring semester, which means it may be getting harder to find your motivation and focus. Here are a few things that always help to keep me grounded and allow me to live more fully in the present moment:

Make your bed

I always have to make my bed every morning, no matter what. For one, I enjoy the orange and blue patterns on my comforter and how they both match my tapestry of floating lights. I also enjoy arranging my pillows just so and nestling my blue stuffed elephant between them. When I return from a long day and it feels like my life is all over the place, it is comforting to see this ordered corner of my room – a space that is inviting and relaxing.

Write letters

This summer I bought a lot of cute stationary and I really enjoy writing letters to friends. Finding a little note in your PO box is sure to brighten someone’s day. I also enjoy sending mail to friends off the hill as well. It lets them know I have been thinking of them even among these busy times.

Visit professors

I have always valued forming relationships with professors. Sometimes I like to email former profs and set up a time to meet either in their office or at the cage just to catch up. It really brightens my day, and I’m always interested to learn more about their own lives and passions!

Gratitude log

I am taking a Positive Psychology class this semester, and part of our homework is to keep a “gratitude log” in which we write down three happy things from every day. It is a good way to focus on the positives, no matter how small. Even on difficult days, it is always important to look for the little moments of joy and light.

Tea Time

I spent the month of January in India, and was captivated by their vibrant and welcoming culture. One of my favorite things I observed was Indians and their tea time. Often, at the end of the day’s events, we were all invited to gather around for tea and cookies. Masala chai was always served in little silver cups and I enjoyed its warm and sweet flavor. Tea time allowed us to slow down among the crazy day and just enjoy the simplicity of drinking tea among company. I hope to continue this tradition back in my busy life. I always enjoying buying coffee from the cage, but I hope to really take time to enjoy the coffee and not just guzzle it down as i walk to my next class or meeting. I believe that by enjoying the rich flavor and warmth, coffee or tea can help remind me of the little indulgences and help me to relax and live in the moment.

photos

letters st olaf gratitude log tea time