Tasteful Valentine’s Day Style

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

Hello fashionistas!

Welcome back to the Hill for second semester! As I’m sure you are well aware, Valentine’s Day is almost here! Whether you’re finally able to go on a memorable date with your Valentine after being away at Interim, spending a cozy evening in with your long-time sweetheart, or celebrating a fun-filled “Galentine’s” Day with your squad, I’ve got you covered for the perfect Valentine’s Day attire! 

When it comes to Valentine’s Day, and in my opinion, many holidays in general, the best way to dress for the occasion is to do it tastefully. Subtlety speaks volumes when it comes to holiday fashion. Keeping it simple is classy, thoughtful, and comfortable – exactly what you want for Valentine’s Day! Be inspired by these festive but wonderfully subtle options for celebrating your Valentine’s Day in style!

Thinking Beyond Red

When you think Valentine’s Day, often times the color red is what pops into mind. Instead of going with the overused bright red, try reaching for a richer tone of red, like maroon. Even a cozy sweater like the one pictured above is the perfect option for a comfortable Valentine’s Day with your sweetheart or with your favorite gals! Stick with something a little outside the box when it comes to the color red. 

Accent Colors

However, there is nothing wrong with going with the classic Valentine’s red. But if you choose this brighter option, I’d recommend using it as an accent color, or layer your look to complete it. Try adding an edgy vibe to a red dress with a leather jacket and black tights, or opt for a red flat with a classy all black look. Don’t let one color overwhelm your look! 

Muted Hues

Something to keep in mind when it comes to color on Valentine’s day is reaching for more muted tones. Mauve, peach, or nude accents are a wonderful and feminine option for Valentine’s Day. Keep it cozy with a sweater or even try-out a dress or skirt in one of those muted tones. 

A Little Something 

Find ways to remind yourself how beautiful you are on Valentine’s Day! Seriously collegiates, we are all beautiful people, and you don’t need a date on Valentine’s Day to complete yourself! That being said, put on that feel-good lace bandeau or bra, 1.) for comfort, and 2.) for a feminine and subtle sexiness to keep you feeling good all day! Wear it under a comfy sweater to stay cozy all day! 

Dainty Hearts

Don’t forget to accessorize with dainty jewelry like this adorable heart ring. Whether it’s earrings, a bracelet, a necklace, or a ring, keep it classy and subtle with a cute accent of love!

Thoughtful Details

Remember to also think of your nails when getting ready for Valentine’s Day! Try adding a small heart to one of your nails or paint them an accent red or rich maroon. Lips are also a perfect place to show off some Valentine’s color. Don’t forget the thoughtful details! 

I hope you’re inspired to try out one (or more!) of these subtle Valentine’s Day fashion choices. Remember collegiates, celebrate yourself on this day of love! Wear what makes you feel good and know that you are beautiful! Enjoy Valentine’s Day!

Stay fashionable, Oles!

XOXO 

Cover Photo, Photo 1, Photo 2, Photo 3, Photo 4, Photo 5, Photo 6 

Kate Roy is a junior, Psychology and Dance double major at St. Olaf College. As one of the Campus Correspondents for Her Campus St. Olaf, she enjoys writing, editing, and helping her fellow Oles get their voices heard. Kate is involved in CompanyDance, the modern dance company at St. Olaf. In her free time, Kate loves to spend time with friends, listen to music, browse Her Campus, flip through fashion magazines, and eat chocolate.  Kate is a fashionista and has a passion for all things dealing with fashion. She works at Madewell, and enjoys getting experience in the fashion world. Kate headed the Her Campus St. Olaf College style blog, StO-Style (now Snapshot), for the 2013-2014 school year. She loved this position and hopes to continue her fashion writing in the future. Kate is extrememly excited to share the position of Campus Correspondent for the 2014-2015 school year and expand her involvement with St. Olaf's Her Campus Chapter.