andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
andrew neel z55CR d0ayg unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

StoPro: A World Off of The Hill

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

We’re back from Fall Break and feeling fresh! I was so relieved to have a weekend off the Hill to experience the “real world” again. Studying in a coffee shop in the city, watching football with my family and picking apples at the local orchard – all sure signs of a phenomenal fall break! From what I have heard around campus, everyone made the most of their time away and returned to campus with tons of stories to share.  The Piper Center sent a number of Oles interested in Consulting, Law, Media & Communications and Social Services to Chicago for an impactful networking and experiential weekend.  The Connections trips, open to Juniors and Seniors, visit a number of domestic locations across the United States each year in order to facilitate face-to-face interactions with Ole Alums and professionals. Upcoming Connections programs include a week in San Francisco over interim break focusing on Technology, Entrepreneurship, Innovation and a week in Washington, D.C. over Spring Break focusing on Government, Non-Profit and International sectors. More details about these programs can be found by clicking on this link: http://wp.stolaf.edu/pipercenter/connections-trips/

It seems that Fall Break always arrives at just the right time. In all honesty, the pressure to constantly be busy can be stifling, and our community, although it is absolutely wonderful, can feel “too close for comfort” some days. Oles definitely benefit from their time in off-campus communities, which is why St. Olaf was ranked number one in study abroad participation across colleges in the United States in the 2010-11 school year. In every circumstance, I’ve heard nothing but positive experiences from students about their time abroad. Sha-Narah Bratt, a senior English and Psychology major, spent two interims abroad on different programs. Her favorite memory of her time abroad was on the Mare Balticum program in which students travel through Germany, Russia, Finland and Sweden. “The day that we toured the oldest castle in Finland was truly the most memorable day of the trip – the rich history of the building was moving and left me stunned to know that so many influential people had walked before me in the same halls.”

Whether you chose to pursue an experience that is domestic or international, short-lived or extended – give life off the Hill a chance! You have everything to gain from the time in an unfamiliar community. Off-campus study enhances any resumé and allows you to be a unique candidate for any position in the future. The programs St. Olaf offers are stellar, but one also has the opportunity to create his or her own study abroad experience! Look into Interim or summer internships that allow you to independently explore your topic of interest here: http://wp.stolaf.edu/pipercenter/internships-getting-started/