StoPro: Vocation Exploration With the Help of The Piper Center

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

Can you believe Thanksgiving Break is already here? It seems like just yesterday the leaves on the trees were turning a gorgeous Ole gold to welcome in the fall season. Time sure flies on the Hill! This past weekend, a group of 80+ sophomores and 30+ leaders and panelists attended the Quo Vadis retreat at the YMCA Camp Ihduhapi to discuss the vocational process. With the tag line “Where are you going?” as the focus for the retreat, the students explored their current situations at St. Olaf, various notions of success, faculty advice, young alumni input and ideas of what to pursue in the future. The weekend was a time for self-reflection and future orientation. Lots of important ideas were addressed, and it seems that Thanksgiving Break is arriving just in time to reflect on these questions. 

To assist you all in the process of similar vocational engagement, I’ve laid out some useful tools offered by the Piper Center. Whether you look them over during your Thanksgiving break or reference them while franticly searching for a summer job this spring, they’re useful and easily accessible right here:

Online resources

Choosing a Major:  Stressing over which major to choose? Trying to decide between a major that you love and a major that seems “practical”? The Piper Center understands that there are many different factors that go into choosing a major – What best suits your interest? What can you do with your major? What if you’d like to switch majors? Check out this link to decipher between the many majors and opportunities that are available to you: http://wp.stolaf.edu/pipercenter/assessing-exploring-majors/

Crafting a resume: Whether you’re just beginning to craft the first stages of a resume draft or you’re adding the finishing touches to a reviewed and well-polished resume, the Piper Center is here to help! Our online documents give reference tips about proper formatting, useful vocabulary and effective bullet points. Use this link to get started, and stop into our office to get your resume reviewed by a Peer Advisor or Career Coach! http://wp.stolaf.edu/pipercenter/resume-get-started/

Networking: One of the most effective professional practices is the ability to network with established professionals. This is a lifelong skill, so why not start practicing now? The Piper Center can connect you to a vast network of Oles and beyond that are living and working in essentially every nook and cranny of the world. This link will guide you through the process to ensure you are using proper networking etiquette: http://wp.stolaf.edu/pipercenter/networking/

Internships: The summer after sophomore year is an excellent time to pursue an internship that exposes you to the professional world. Internships can answer questions about what you want (or don’t want) to pursue in the future! They are great learning experiences and are one of the best ways to build professional connections. Learn about St. Olaf funded internships, international internships, and much more by following this link http://wp.stolaf.edu/pipercenter/internships-getting-started/

Upcoming Events

Worldwide Service Fair (November 20th, 11:15am- 2:30pm)

An opportunity for students to learn about volunteer and service programs such as Peace Corps, Teach for America, AmeriCorps, Lutheran Volunteer Corps and more.

Summer Job and Camp Fair (February 9th)

An opportunity to connect with nationwide programs that provide a diverse array of summer jobs for college students.  Recruiters from Lutheran Camps and other organizations come to campus to meet and interview students.

Oles for Public Interest (March 11th, on campus)

Hear from alumni who have developed careers in non-profit, government and corporate/foundation organizations. Oles for Public Interest will be a great opportunity for thoughtful discussion and questions as alumni tell their stories and provide insight into their paths to public service careers.

Ole Law (April 22nd, off-campus transportation provided)

Explore the field of law with this annual event organized by Twin Cities Ole lawyers. The purpose of this event is to connect those who are interested in law with those who are currently involved in law.

Ole Cup (May 2nd)

An annual competition that seeks out emerging student-entrepreneurs and provides them with tools, resources and support to launch and accelerate the development of their new ventures.