Life > Experiences

StoLife: Things to Look Forward to While You’re Dreading Finals

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

So, finals. Everybody is talking, crying, yakking, stressing, eating, crying, procrastinating, sleeping, repeat. . . because of the dreaded things. Amidst all of the hype, it’s important to take care of yourself and keep your eyes on the prize: WINTER BREAK. Finals will end and you will likely still be alive and well. So if crying, stressing, eating, Netflixing, etc. are not helping you cope with the finals week blues, give yourself a winter break pep talk and think about these really great things that you’ll get to enjoy after a few short (or long) weeks of studying and testing. YOU CAN DO IT!

1. Gift giving and stocking stuffers

I suppose receiving gifts is pretty cool too, but I especially enjoy making Holiday cards and crafts for family and friends! That and stocking stuffers are some of the best parts of winter break. The combination of toothbrushes, chocolate Santas and gift cards is priceless and better than finals.

2. Christmas cookies

YUM.

3. Christmas movies

From ABC Family’s 25 Days of Christmas to classics like A Charlie Brown Christmas or How the Grinch Stole Christmas, you cannot go wrong.

4. Sleep

Give your alarm clock a break. Sleep a lot. Stress not even a little.

5. Outdoor activities

If it isn’t too cold, enjoy the outdoors! Sledding, skating, snowshoeing, skiing, snowboarding, you name it. Now is the time to enjoy it before the snow melts (in May).

6. Family Time (even if it’s awkward)

Family time can be great, even if it involves explaining what a Women and Gender Studies Concentration is to your great grandma or pretending to love the ugliest gift from your far removed, extended family.

7. After Christmas Sales

If you’re feeling especially excited about that beloved post-holiday consumerism, take advantage of all of the sweet after Christmas sales. I probably will.

8. Pet Bonding and Showers without Shoes

A glorious combination.

Crafts, Cookies, Charlie Brown, Sleep, Skating, Family, Shopping, Pets