StO-Style: Valentine’s Day Fashion

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

It’s that time of year again – time for pink lacy hearts, red roses, boxes of chocolate and declarations of love. You know what I’m talking about…Valentine’s Day. Love it or hate it, Valentine’s Day is upon us. No matter what your relationship status is or what your plans for the big day are, it’s possible to have a good time on the day when love reigns supreme. Here are a few outfits and fun Valentine’s Day event ideas for single and taken readers alike. Read on!

Sexy and Single: A Party with Friends

Tank $12 – oldnavy.gap.com, Jeggings $46 – welikefashion.com, Heart Ring $24 – houseoffraser.co.u,Flower Earrings $29 – fantasyjewelrybox.c, Glitter Ballet Flats $36 – topshop.com, Envelope Clutch $36 – asos.com

Red and fuchsia are the quintessential Valentine’s Day colors, so why not pair them together? While this combination may seem jarring, all you need is the confidence to pull it off. There is no better time to play around with your look than when you’re single. Try a red top with a pair of fuchsia pants, and keep your accessories simple and in the same color vein. White flats and a white clutch help the outfit pop. Wear this outfit to a Valentine’s soirée with all your single friends and celebrate the fact that you have great people around you who love you for you. Still not convinced on this color combo? Check out the Thakoon Fall 2012 runway show, The Man Repeller, and Sarah Jessica Parker
for more inspiration.

Casual Relationship: Caf Date

Tunic $63 – monsoon.co.uk, Heart Earrings $45 – betseyjohnson.com, Skinny Jeans $76 – topshop.com, Ring $12 – topshop.com, Cashmere Infinity Scarf $68 – purecollection.com, Ballet Flats $45 – oasis-stores.com

If you’re casually seeing someone, this outfit is perfect for a Valentine’s Day dinner at the Caf or the Cage. While a Caf date for Valentine’s Day may seem lame, it is the perfect low–pressure way to spend time with someone you are interested in or aren’t seriously dating yet. Grab a booth or a window table with your dinner date and coyly suggest sharing a dessert. To go along with the relaxed mood, wear cute yet casual clothes that reflect your style and are comfortable. A tunic over a pair of bright jeans is a great option, and when paired with a few accessories, flats, and a cozy scarf, allows you to look put together but still laid back.

Serious Relationship: Fancy Restaurant

Dress $20 – hm.com, Blazer $130 – topshop.com, Earrings $50 – onestopplus.com, Bag$56 – topshop.com, Booties $50 – modcloth.com, Lace Tights $24 – freepeople.com

Going to a fancy restaurant is the perfect way to spend time off–campus with your significant other on Valentine’s Day. Choose a restaurant together or surprise your sweetie by taking them for cuisine they’ve never had before, like Vietnamese or Indian. To go along with the romantic atmosphere, wear a flirty ruffly dress paired with lacy tights. A blazer is chic and useful if the restaurant is chilly, and booties are dressy without being hard to walk in. Add a few accessories and you’re good to go!

No matter your situation, Valentine’s Day is a great excuse to dress up and show those closest to you how much you care about them. So spread the love and stay fashionable, St. Olaf!

Katie is a recent graduate (and proud alum - UM YA YA!) of St. Olaf College, a small liberal arts college in Minnesota. A true Minnesota girl through and through, Katie was formerly a fashion blogger and Campus Correspondent for Her Campus St. Olaf College before becoming a contributing writer for the national site. She currently works as a marketing assistant and is interested in further pursuing a career in marketing, PR, journalism, editing...(she has no idea, if you can't tell). Katie is passionate about traveling and wants to stamp up her passport as much as possible. Katie enjoys social media, blogs, Speculoos cookie butter, dressing for success, fashion magazines and extensively quoting pop culture in social situations (especially 30 Rock). Her one party trick is knowing all the words to "Freaks and Geeks" by Childish Gambino.   
Founder and executive editor of the St. Olaf chapter of Her Campus, Lucy Casale is a senior English major with women's studies and media studies concentrations at St. Olaf College. A current editorial intern at MSP Communications in Minneapolis, MN, Lucy has interned at WCCO-TV/CBS Minnesota, Marie Claire magazine, and two newspapers. Visit her digital portfolio: lucysdigitalportfolio.weebly.com