Sto-Style: Take It Easy

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

StO Style:  Take it Easy

Ahh, second semester. The sleepy Olaf campus is waking up with a bang from its hibernation mode (à la “Interim”) and crowds of students are returning from study abroad opportunities and off-campus internships, milling around causing grand traffic jams in Buntrock Crossroads, and generally making a racket. It’s a bit of a problem. There’s a mixture of excitement and resigned motion in the air as we get ready to dive into the daily grind of another semester.

But I digress. This is a fashion blog, right? The irony is that I’m sitting here in the library wearing a leotard, two pairs of sweatpants, a scarf and two sweaters. My hair’s a mess and please don’t look at my face. If I wasn’t so tired and it wasn’t so freaking cold outside, I’d be secretly horrified at my grunginess. But an 8 a.m. dance class in Ditt immediately followed by a class in the mysterious Tomson Hall means that my personal style for the semester will be a little more… err… “relaxed” then usual. Especially since at the moment it’s too cold for me to justify traipsing all the way back to my dorm to change after French. Still, I’m feeling a little hypocritical. I’m the one who inwardly cringes when people who come to class in sweatpants and Uggs, but here I am wearing the equivalent (technically Minnetonka moccasins instead of Uggs, but still).

And it has me thinking – why do I care (even a little) what other people wear? Why should I feel ashamed if I wear something ridiculously comfortable and warm for a change? Especially since personal style is all about reflecting yourself, as I always say (and my dancer/frozen-Minnesotan student attire says just that). I actually think I look pretty cute. Furthermore, the time I’ve saved today by not going back to Thorson to change is pretty remarkable – I’ve gotten valuable work done.  

So here’s to sloppy seconds (I’m talking about the semester, silly).

PS: That being said, I can’t WAIT until it’s warmer and I can throw a dress on over my leotard and slip into ballet flats and look as pulled-together as my French prof. Seriously.