This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

I’ve been dealing with a lot of stress the past few weeks, and as a music oriented person, I’ve been helping my mind stay busy through music and specifically my spotify playlists. So here goes nothing

Clairvoyant-“The Story So Far”

This song has a depth to it that I adore. It holds pain and truth and it seems like a prophacy for so many reasons. Saying that “I swim in the water that’s breaking your levy” is this deep lyric for me. It shows that people bend and break and get overflowed and overwhelmed and that that is okay. I love the strumming pattern and the breaks. “Don’t paint me black when I used to be golden” is probably my most favorite lyric. It reminds me that people can’t be allowed to make you something you aren’t and that you should stand up for yourself and who you are. 

Cherry-“Moose Blood”

This song gives me some sort of life. I don’t relate to the lyrics as much as there is something about the electric guitar being played almost as if it is an acoustic guitar that stirs my soul. There’s this concept of not believing in growing up which is something I love, but theres also such a lift in the song and the way it sounds and I have just over the years fallen in love with the way this song is written and I adore the instrumental so much. 

“Around the World and Back”-State Champs

Derek has the best voice I have ever heard. This song has a fast pace to it and I just love it. “She’s got eyes like the spring” is something I’ve always loved, because I had a friend that used to tell me my eyes were like spring because of their muddy green color, so I just love that line. I love the duet and harmonies so much in this song because they’re so clean cut and pure that I just fall in love each time I hear this song. Honestly I just love the way the song focuses the whole theme of this album and pulls it all together and the lyrics are so interesting and theres nothing that I could ever dislike about State Champs not only are they fantastic musicians but the most incredible guys and I just adore everything about them and their music. 

“Story of Another Us”-5 Seconds of Summer

This song has an extended metaphor of being in a movie, making the lyrics super interesting. I love the pick up and emotion behind the chorus and the way the song is written to create this intense build that comes into every chorus, not just the first one. The guitar going into the end of the chorus brings a fire and intensity that slacks off at the end creating a clean cut into the verses and leaving the build up to start again. The song is almost completely build up for the bridge, which is so cool because the lyrics of the bridge are so beautiful, but the backing vocals and instrumentals and the fact that the singer’s voice is so raw then followed by an acoustic start to the chorus by a different singer causing a pure enterance back into the build up. It’s honestly such a good ride the entire song and I’ve fallen in love with it. 

passionate about equality, feminism, music and pop culture. a bit of a makeup girl and an avid user of all lowercase letters