This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

In my time so far at St. Olaf, I have found several, simple things to help me feel more at ease amidst a busy semester. Whether it be decorations in your room, buying yourself a coffee at the Cage or going to the gym, there are always ways to help you feel better and more grounded when life seems to be all over the place.

Hang Pictures in your Dorm Room

This may seem like a common thing to do in college, but I have found that it truly does help my mood. I love seeing the pictures every day because they always make me smile.

Make Your Bed

I always need to make my bed, no matter how rushed I am in the morning. There is something so relieving about returning to your room after a long, hard day and seeing your bed so neat and welcoming (it also allows you to show off that cute bedspread from Bed Bath and Beyond that you just had to have). And it makes it all the more comforting to pull back the covers and snuggle in after a tiring day.

Make a Box for the Mail You Receive

I just did this last week (tupperware: Target, less than $3). Currently it contains the mail I received last year. This includes birthday cards, thank yous, letters from friends, and Friday flower notes. It makes me feel good to have all my thoughtful notes from friends and family in one place at my desk.

Write Letters

Pick up some cute stationary from Target or the bookstore and send notes to your friends and family! It’s always a nice study break to sit down and write your friend about how your year has been going and what you’re most excited about. And, it’s a perfect excuse to check your PO more than once a day. ;)

Avoid Netflix

While it may sound like a good idea to watch a quick show in that “free” half hour you have, I’ve found that it only leaves me feeling worse because I realize what I could have gotten done in that time – only after that time has been wasted. If you want to take a study break, consider calling a friend or taking a walk.

Go to Breakfast Earlier

If I have a morning class, like at 9:05, I like to go to breakfast closer to 8 when the caf is quieter. Then I have more time to enjoy my cup of coffee and plan for my day.

Visit a Former Professor

Nothing can make you happier than stopping by a favorite professor’s office and catching up. Professors at Olaf have a good way of making you feel good about yourself, which can always add a nice mood booster to your day.

Hopefully these simple, small things can help prepare you for another great year on the Hill! 

xoxo,

Bridget

letters netflix coffee st olaf