This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

Hey Fit Friends!

It’s that time of year again. The freezing temperatures have hit and they seem to be here to stay! Although it’s tempting to jump on the hibernation bandwagon and shut ourselves in for the winter, it’s important to keep active throughout the cold months. Exercising in the winter is beneficial for staying productive in school and avoiding sickness or Seasonal Affective Disorder. So what can you do to increase that heart rate in new ways this winter?

1. Head down to the St. Olaf Outdoor Recreation Program (STORP), which is located in the lower level of Tostrud at the end of the hallway (near the weight room), with some friends and rent some snowshoes or cross-country ski equipment. STORP has everything to provide you with some outdoor fun in the natural lands (just make sure you bundle up)!

2. Grab a caf tray (if you dare) and head out to Old Main Hill for a fun afternoon of sledding! Sledding itself takes balance and core strength, but the real workout is hiking back up the hill! Challenge yourself to keep a quick pace during your hike.

3. Make a weekend trip to Buck Hill once the area opens. If you don’t own equipment, Buck has ski and snowboard rentals. They also offer tubing!

Winter may be cold, but that doesn’t mean there are any less options for outdoor activities. Give yourself an excuse to take a break from your hibernation and fill your lungs with fresh air these next few months!

cover imagenordic skiingbuck hill