This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

Hey Fit Friends!

Welcome back to a brand new semester of Ole Fit. With relentlessly cold temperatures, we thought it would be best this week to suggest some indoor exercise tips. Making the extra trek down to Skoglund and Tostrud for a workout may not be very appealing, so in efforts to avoid freezing wind and numb faces, here are some things you can consciously focus on as you go about your normal routine from class to class:

1. Always take the stairs. Beyond that, try variations such as walking up the stairs two-by-two. 

2. Devote even amounts of time to carrying your books in each arm. Although they are not dumbbells, this little bit of weight will still engage those arm muscles. 

3. Instead of sitting the entire time, find places where you can stand while studying.

4. When you are sitting during class or study time, practice tightening your abs for thirty-second or one-minute intervals with rest inbetween. 

5. If you find yourself standing in place, try some calf raises! Practice them with your toes pointed forward, out to the sides and pigeon-toed. 

Practicing little habits like these is important for staying healthy and happy through this long winter season. After awhile, it will become second nature! 

See you next week!

Calf RaisesFrozen FaceDumbbells