Ole Entertainment: Five Apps You Should Delete Now

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

Hey, Oles! With only a couple of weeks to go until finals, the time has come to buckle down and get serious about studying. However, keeping your eyes on your history book or finishing that religion paper is tricky when the constant distraction of your phone right next to you. Try deleting a few of the apps that take up the most of your time and seem to turn five minutes into an hour wasted. Happy studying!

Flappy Bird

This app was taken off the market after only a few weeks of massive downloads, but if you managed to snag it during its limited time in the App Store, don’t feel bad pressing delete. The game consists of tapping your screen repeatedly to make a bird fly between two pipes of different heights, and although it may sound easy, trust me- it is a complete nightmare. Flappy Bird is insanely addictive, and will take over your life if you let it.

Candy Crush

While I personally never jumped on the Candy Crush bandwagon, I have endured many one-sided conversations with friends that are too focused on matching their jelly beans and lemon drops to engage in social interaction. I also constantly receive notifications from people on Facebook begging me to give them coins so they can pass their levels. Candy Crush was big in high school- let’s leave it there, everybody.

2048

2048 is the latest craze, with a different version available for any taste. The game involves swiping tiles together with the goal of achieving “2048”- or in other renditions, a specific picture or GIF of Beyonce, Justin Bieber, Pokemon or Corgis. Working toward the seemingly impossible 2048 is incredibly frustrating and can take an embarrassing amount of time to finally attain. I will admit, seeing that 2048 tile on your screen is satisfying, but there are so many other important things you could be doing with your time.

Tinder

Tinder is all fun and games until you start getting weird messages from that “super cute” boy 25 miles away. How much can you really get to know about someone from an optional two-line biography and a few pictures from who knows how long ago? Please practice Internet safety, Oles!

Snapchat

Snapchat has been around for a while, but let’s be real here- don’t you get tired of taking the same old selfie and uploading it to your story? Doesn’t it get old to be on the receiving end of those repetitive pictures as well? Nobody is going to forget what your face looks like if you don’t send them a new picture of it every two hours. Get rid of the app and spend some time in the real world instead of making faces into your camera lens.

Photos

cover, Flappy Bird, Candy Crush, 2048, Tinder, Snapchat

Lindsey Tucker is a freshman at St. Olaf College, and is the writer for the Ole Entertainment Blog. When she's not scoping out new music tracks or browsing Netflix for the next show to watch, she enjoys playing accordion with The Runestones, whipping up tasty drinks in The Cage and attending the occasional concert.