david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
david menidrey MYRG0ptGh50 unsplash 1?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Ole Entertainment: 6 Scary Movies to Watch this Halloween

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at St Olaf chapter.

Hey Oles! Last year I wrote a post about Halloween movies for the faint of heart, so this time around I decided to indulge those of you who have a higher tolerance for all things horror-related. Here are a few of the most chill-inducing films of our time, so grab a friend and prepare for a night without sleep – don’t say I didn’t warn you. 

Poltergeist (1982)

Ranked as the twentieth scariest film ever made by the Chicago Film Critics Association, this thriller tells the story of a poltergeist intrusion in a suburban family’s California home. It is famous for originating the creepy catch phrase, “They’re here,” which Carol Anne delivers after communicating with the poltergeist through the family television set. However, what makes this film even more frightening might be its history off set – the Poltergeist franchise is believed to be cursed due to the premature deaths of multiple people linked to the movie.

The Blair Witch Project (1999)

Dubbed by some as the “original Paranormal Activity” for its found-footage style of filming, The Blair Witch Project is about three students whose attempt to shoot a documentary about the legendary Blair Witch goes terribly wrong. The terrifying part about this movie is that the killer is never revealed on camera, leaving the audience on the edge of their seats the entire story and driving their imaginations wild as an unseen force strikes again and again.

Paranormal Activity (2007)

Also shot in the found-footage style, Paranormal Activity is centered on Katie and Micah, a young couple attempting to document a supernatural presence they believe to be haunting their house. The severity of the paranormal occurrences escalates throughout the film, with an explosive finale that spawned the creation of three additional films in the franchise.

The Exorcist (1973)

Of course, no list of scary movies would be complete without The Exorcist! Named as the scariest film of all time by Entertainment Weekly, The Exorcist is about the demonic possession of a young girl and her exorcism performed by two priests. Scary fact: the movie, adapted from the book of the same name, was based on the actual 1949 exorcism case of Roland Doe.

The Conjuring (2013)

As the most recently released film on this list, The Conjuring is not for the faint of heart. It revolves around Ed and Lorraine Warren, paranormal investigators that must come to the aid of the Perron family, whose house requires an exorcism. With possessed children running around with scissors and potentially the creepiest doll you will ever see in your life, this is one movie you may want to leave the lights on for.

Children Of The Corn (1984)

Children Of The Corn is based on a short story written by Stephen King, so you know it’s going to be scary. Set in rural Nebraska, the film follows the town children’s cult following of “He Who Walks Behind The Rows” and their ritualistic massacre of the adults in order to ensure a favorable corn harvest, as well as a young couple passing through town that get caught up in the bloody rampage.  

cover photo, poltergeist, blair witch project, paranormal activity, exorcist, conjuring, children of the corn

Lindsey Tucker is a freshman at St. Olaf College, and is the writer for the Ole Entertainment Blog. When she's not scoping out new music tracks or browsing Netflix for the next show to watch, she enjoys playing accordion with The Runestones, whipping up tasty drinks in The Cage and attending the occasional concert.